Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much harder can the government squeeze the golden goose?

From 1 April 2013, Air Passenger Duty (APD) will be extended to include private jets and other smaller aircraft with an authorised take off weight of 5.7 tonnes or more. From this date, if you operate an avtur fuelled fixed wing aircraft, taking off from a UK airport carrying passengers, you will be required to register for APD within 7 days of the flight occurring1. A “briefing for new operators” is available at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/air-passenger-duty/index.htm

EGNS, EGKB, EGCV, United Kingdom

This speaks of paying passengers i.e. AOC charter flights only, IMHO.

I can't see this affects the plane's owner and maybe his family and mates being flown around, Part 91 etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It seems to me that relative the costs of flying in a private jet, the duty is likely to be minimal and the real objection is to the hassle of declaring and collecting it. Unless there's a special category just for private jet passengers, which as far as I can tell, there doesn't appear to be.

This speaks of paying passengers i.e. AOC charter flights only, IMHO.

I can't see this affects the plane's owner and maybe his family and mates being flown around, Part 91 etc.

Unfortunately, this affects EVERY aircraft with a MTOW greater than 5,700 kgs.

It seems to me that relative the costs of flying in a private jet, the duty is likely to be minimal and the real objection is to the hassle of declaring and collecting it. Unless there's a special category just for private jet passengers, which as far as I can tell, there doesn't appear to be.

Yes - much like the EU ETS scheme, the majority of costs to the owner will come in actually administering the scheme.

EGNS, EGKB, EGCV, United Kingdom

Think of it another way though... If a town council announced that anyone driving a Rolls-Royce or Ferrari was exempt from parking fees there'd be an uproar. Is this really any different?

It's not a battle I'd choose to fight.

5 Posts
Sign in to add your message