Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Get in to a pressurized twin turbine for less than a nice C182 or Cirrus.

AdamFrisch wrote:

Martin – I don’t know what NAA or OSD/OEB reports mean. What is it?

NAA = National Aviation Authority

OSD = Operational Suitability Data
OSB Report = Operational Suitability Board Report

These two “documents” specify what training you need in what situations. OSD is supposed to be provided by a manufacturer to anyone interested (NAAs, ATOs, operators), OSB Reports are provided by EASA (EASA is AIUI abandoning them in favor of OSD). They have a list of contacts for manufacturers but I haven’t looked if there is an entry for Commander.

I thought it was already in force but reportedly it will be from the next year – all training will have to follow OSD/ OSBR. For turboprop twins, they are mandatory (they are optional for piston twins) which leads me to conclude that without at least one of them, no training will be possible. If Twin Commander LLC has the TC, perhaps they could supply OSD. Don’t know how that works. AIUI, for new types, it should be part of certification (presumably they look it over and approve it).

@Martin thanks,
That begs the inevitable question then – what does that mean for all the rare types where there might not even be a manufacturer? I’m thinking Extra 500, Do 28, SIAI-Marchetti, Fairey Gannets, or even a homebuilt turbine. How do they expect to deal with that?

Thinking out loud, maybe they will have to go Annex 2, whereupon the national aviation authority of the country of registration can authorise a way of issuing the type rating. There will be a way, and I have to say that in my experience once you get through to the right people, the UK CAA can be quite helpful and practical.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Not sure if this thread fits but a Piaggio 166 is on Planecheck. In the day it was competing with the likes of the Queen Air and Grand Commander.

www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=39877

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Good catch!

My dream for years was the P136 Royal Gull. Managed to get a ride in one and almost bought a project plane to restore. The P166 shares a lot of things with the P136, engines, wing etc. These are big planes with good loading capability and big cabins. But not very fast.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 18 Mar 17:19

Here is the subject aircraft in action

Wiki suggests 160KTAS, compared to a Queen Air at around 180KTAS.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Interestingly, the older pusher Piaggio’s don’t carry fuel in the wings. They have two huge fuselage tanks inboard behind the cabin. This means they eliminate needs for complicated fuel systems and cross feeds etc. It also means the wing is beefy enough to handle all that weight without needing the fuel to support them, so they have no zero fuel limit.

Here’s a P136 I-GULL in the 60’s on a sales tour, docking by Tower bridge. Don’t think they’d love you doing that today…

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 18 Mar 19:01

A German-based straight 690 is for sale for $199K. One engine is very close to TBO, but since it’s on N-reg, you can keep flying it until it needs a hot section. The straight 690 is a hybrid of the earlier and later 690B models, with a lot of compelling operational benefits. One of them being it has the much cheaper plastic alcohol windscreens and not the heated glass ones of later models. The other is that it has the later -5 engines, which are by far the most plentiful to maintain (lots of spares) and with good power. It has the longer 690B wing, so will climb better and have the longer range fuel.

This is a 265-275kt plane, FL280, 1200-1400nm range. The panel is a hot mess, of course, but what to expect for that entry price. It’s flyable.

690 on Controller

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 30 Jun 00:04
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message