Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft covers?

I'm considering using Stormforce material for a replacement cover set this year - does anyone have any comment or recommends - on this or other outdoor cover materials?

Same goes for cover makers . . .

EuropaBoy
EGBW

I had one fabricated by www.planecover.com and shipped to Europe. It was not cheap but a fantastic piece of workmanship. Very well thought out, clearly the result of many years of experience with a lot of attention to fine details. I don't think there is anybody in Europe that could deliver something comparable.

Sunbrella is by far the best fabric for an airplane cover.

I got a cover made in 2003 by Bruce's Custom Covers in the USA.

It was a similar price to one from Cambrai Covers in the UK (perhaps UK's most common choice) but it was done in a few weeks whereas Cambrai wanted ~ 12 weeks.

It is a silvery reflective lightweight material, designed to keep the cockpit cool in hot climates, and is still almost as good as new despite the cover being in place every night. However, the aircraft is mostly hangared so maybe this is not such good data. OTOH the stitching etc is obviously good because it gets put on and taken off frequently - perhaps nearly 1000 times to date.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

as good as new despite the cover being in place every night. However, the aircraft is mostly hangared

I'm curious -- why would you put on the cover when the aircraft is in a hanger?

• Keep dust/dirt off
  • Prevent overspray sticking to windows (if somebody is spraying in the vicinity)
  • Protect the plane, and stop people casing the joint, if the plane is moved outdoors temporarily
  • The cover may be wet/damp (from the plane being outside) in which case it cannot be packed inside the plane because the cockpit would be full of condensation; it has to go somewhere, and putting it on the plane is usually the best place.

I have no weekend access so everything potentially needed has to be in/on the plane. In my own hangar, I probably wouldn't leave the cover on.

Administrator

Sunbrella is your best fabric choice, though expensive.

The cover must fit snug, particularly over the windows. If it buffets in the wind, even the slightest dirt in the cover becomes sandpaper.

Consider the remotely possible secondary purpose of the cover, that being blanket and signalling device, should you go down. Consider having a bright panel sewn into the cover. Bright will fade over time, but at least it's better than camouflage!

I sew soft fuzzy material onto the inside of mine, so it is soft against the windows, and warm if you have to wrap it around yourself. In the winter, I carry my bright orange engine blanket with me for the same reason (though it is not fuzzy on the inside).

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

If it buffets in the wind, even the slightest dirt in the cover becomes sandpaper.

Is it possible to maintain a tight fit over a range of "wetness" conditions?

I find that my cover can be loose or tight according to how wet it got and how it was allowed to dry out. The straps are adjustable but they have to be frequently readjusted.

Bruce's lightweight reflective covers have a layer of furry material on the inside which helps to stop window scratching, but I still do everything possible to stop it touching the ground, because if it does touch tarmac, you can basically forget your windows... (eventually).

Administrator

Hello there,

Digging out a old thread, as I will soon need to change my cover, and will undoubtedly change the brand which has not been satisfying.
I thought to go with Bruce, but I have been convinced by the quality of craftsmanship that planecover (suggested by Achimha), is able to offer.
The point is that my aircraft is sleeping outside, South of France, and that I decided initially to cover the cabin plus the engine cowl. Planecover doesn’t not provide engine cover, due to low demand, and possible harm to the engine, as it may prevent moisture from releasing.
It would still be possible to go with one brand for the cabin, and an other one for the engine, but doesn’t seem smart.

Any input with your experience would be highly appreciated

Regards
Alexandre.

My cover at the moment (actually, the state has worsened…)

Cover by “Planecover” (Jim)

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

The point is that my aircraft is sleeping outside, South of France, and that I decided initially to cover the cabin plus the engine cowl. Planecover doesn’t not provide engine cover, due to low demand, and possible harm to the engine, as it may prevent moisture from releasing.

In that case I would take a closer look at Jaxidas (http://www.jaxida-cover.de/home-english/) or Clouddancers (http://clouddancers.de/en/). Many owners I know have made good experience with them storing their gliders outside. They offer moisture control, hail protection, custom fitting to your airframe and aren’t too expensive.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany
49 Posts
Sign in to add your message