Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Legality of recording ATC or other pilots?

So am I breaking the law right now by mentioning here that I got clearance to enter Dresden CTR via November last Sunday?

This is very strange indeed.

ESME, ESMS

That would mean that it is also illegal to give communication examples to future PPL students.

ESME, ESMS

I have merged two very similar threads.

I have never heard of a prosecution in recent decades, and IMHO this regulation is in place to prevent large scale abuse e.g. someone setting up an ATC audio website.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Does this makes monitoring 121.5 illegal ;) ?/

CptSameh wrote:

Does this makes monitoring 121.5 illegal ;) ?/

Not if you’re flying/actively participating, of course.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

IIRC in the UK it is still the case that you need a license to receive anything in the RF spectrum (except spectrum where you explicitly don’t, in other words broadcast radio, ISM bands, and probably the amateur bands). This is how they prosecute radar detector use – radar detectors aren’t illegal in the UK, however, using them without a license to receive on that part of the spectrum is so they get people under the WT (wireless telegraphy) act. However I don’t think I’ve heard anyone ever prosecuted for listening to the airband. It’s one of those selectively enforced laws.

Last Edited by alioth at 17 Aug 08:34
Andreas IOM

With regard to this does anyone know if recording ATC is illegal in France?

Administrator

Radiocommunication correspondence secrecy is required by international law.

ITU Radio Regulations 2016 (link):

ARTICLE 36

Authority of the person responsible for the station

36.1 § 1 The service of a mobile station is placed under the supreme authority of the person
responsible for the aircraft or other vehicle carrying the mobile station.

36.2 § 2 The person holding this authority shall require that each operator comply with
these Regulations and that the mobile station for which the operator is responsible is used, at all times,
in accordance with these Regulations.

36.3 § 3 Except as otherwise provided for in these Regulations, the person responsible, as
well as all the persons who may have knowledge of any information whatever obtained by means of
the radiocommunication service, are placed under the obligation of observing and ensuring the
secrecy of correspondence.

36.4 § 4 The provisions of Nos. 36.1, 36.2 and 36.3 shall also apply to personnel of aircraft
earth stations.

Last Edited by Qalupalik at 15 May 13:45
London, United Kingdom
Administrator

alioth wrote:

IIRC in the UK it is still the case that you need a license to receive anything in the RF spectrum

Anyone with metal rods of various lengths at home is breaking the law.

Last Edited by Dimme at 24 Oct 13:42
ESME, ESMS
Sign in to add your message