Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin handheld aviation GPS business - the end?

Exactly, Jason. And I think the exact same applies to (at least the French) high speed trains now, or why would they carry that big bubble on top? They have obviously implemented a network local to each train. Perhaps the only potential issue would be interference from other networks that can’t deal with high speed clients.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

On Etihad just now you can make and receive calls on their network. If interference was a problem it wouldn’t be allowed.

The presence of the pico cell on the aircraft causes the phone to transmit at much lower power. This, combined with the fact that the aircraft is at 30k+ means that there is no interference caused on the ground.

Conversely, a phone at 3,000ft at maximum transmit power will definitely be generating signals that are receivable on the ground. But it’s nothing that the network can’t deal with.

A phone receiving two signals from two “interfering” cells may not work properly as a result of being unable to register on the network. But two cells receiving the same signal from one phone, will not cause the network to fail.

This, combined with the fact that the aircraft is at 30k+ means that there is no interference caused on the ground.

I don’t think this can be at all assured. Loads of people have received texts and even had a phone ringing at FL300+. So some degree of connectivity is achieved, or can be, even if it really useless.

Very true about the phone transmitting at a lower power when the incoming signal is strong. This is one reason why people in the countryside get a crap battery life But if for whatever reason it gets a low power signal for a bit, it will wind up it’s power to respond.

Somehow, the issue with messing up the network has been solved, even though the laws have not been updated or repealed.

Anyway, how did we got to this, from Garmin handhelds?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Loads of people have received texts and even had a phone ringing at FL300+

Yes but only on aircraft without the picocell, which will stop this, by making the phone instead use a low power connection to the cell on the aircraft. I was just explaining why this is “allowed” and normal cell phone use is not.

Somehow, the issue with messing up the network has been solved

Not seen any clear evidence that the problem was ever there in the first place. Only some theory and urban myth material on forums like this one!

Back to Garmin handhelds…

ortac wrote:

A phone receiving two signals from two “interfering” cells may not work properly as a result of being unable to register on the network. But two cells receiving the same signal from one phone, will not cause the network to fail.

I recall reading (on rec.aviation?) in the good old days of analog mobile networks how someone making a call from his aircraft in flight got a bill for dozens of calls to the same number at the same time. Presumably one call was registred for every cell in range!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Alternative for the in-flight data argument here

Right! About those obsolete Garmins…

Last Edited by AF at 07 Jul 12:05

I spoke to a guy in a pilot shop the other day who is still selling the 695 and the Aera units but said they went from selling an aviation GPS at shows every 20 minutes, to selling maybe one in the whole show now.

Irrespective of the Aera hardware being re-used in other markets, how can it be economical for Jepp to continue with the database support?

Or is the database identical to that in some panel mounted box?

Administrator

The databases might well be common with other units, but even if not, it’s just going to be a variant of the Jepp master database anyway and therefore practically additional zero cost to maintain. I imagine that there is a high profit margin in this business – it’s like razor blades.

EGTT, The London FIR

I have often wondered how much extra stuff Garmin do to the Jepp data.

For example the VFR stuff e.g. VRPs. It doesn’t seem to come from Jepp. Their recent “fixing” of the UK Class A airspace (the “airways”) is one example.

Administrator

I have a 696 that I abandoned for most of last year (in favor of SkyDemon), the reason being the difficulty of downloading paid-for updates through my Mac. That problem has recently been sorted, so I plan to panel mount the 696 during an avionics upgrade this spring (unless I sell the plane and buy a retractable). Given the extraordinary capability of IPad mini + Skydemon, I would not buy an airplane handheld today. Several years ago, it was a wonder and I feel I got my money’s worth. I feel more comfortable having both (and printed charts) as I have also seen the iPad overheat (summer in Greece!).

SkyDemon sometimes shows airfields and VRPs not visible with the Garmin.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 08 Jan 10:57
Tököl LHTL
Sign in to add your message