Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New Jeppesen Mobile Flight Deck VFR

The German AOPA magazine contains a preview of an upcoming Jeppesen iPad app for VFR pilots. It's supposed to contain the Jeppesen VFR maps and they are supposedly rendered dynamically on the iPad from digital data with configurable detail. The app is different from the others.

This would be quite something because Jeppesen has reliable VFR maps for most of Europe and today does not offer them in useable electronic form. I believe the app is a separate development by Jeppesen Germany as it looks rather different from the existing apps and they do all VFR map business in Frankfurt (given up on US VFR maps some years ago).

Looking forward to seeing it in Friedrichshafen. Supposed to be available some time after the show.

About time Jepp offered those maps on some fairly popular platform!

I still wish the Ipad offered a way to run user-supplied maps. For example when flying above an overcast I run special topo maps produced by Mobile Atlas Creator (Mobac)

so one can see where to glide if the engine packs up.

There is an app which runs user maps but only rectangular-projection ones, which is AFAIK doable with Mobac but is no good for any aviation charts because they are all Lambert Conformal Conical.

Oziexplorer was not done for the Ipad and IMHO never will be.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

While this is great in itself, it probably also means that Jepp are not going to license their Euro charts to ForeFlight. They wouldn't want to cannibalize their own sales. Looks like one will have to have both (if flying on both sides of the pond, that is).

Peter: ForeFlight lets you do what you want, i.e. toggle between sectionals/terrain/road/IFR charts with a simple click.

Multiplans on the iPad can process MOBAC .osz maps and supports all common projections. That's the best iPad offline map application I know of.

ForeFlight lets you do what you want

But own-scanned LCC maps?

The FAA enroute charts are not a huge issue because one can get them in GEOTIFF (e.g.) which runs under Oziexplorer directly. And there are several Ipad apps that can run them, but which run almost nothing non-US.

Multiplans on the iPad can process MOBAC .osz maps and supports all common projections

My Nokia 808 runs AFTRACK which supports .osz, but I have a lot of problems with that format, ex-Mobac. It doesn't work for sizeable areas. Also I know of no way to get aviation charts into it.

Ozi still rules for the map coverage - including every VFR chart you will ever want, and usually current ones too

it probably also means that Jepp are not going to license their Euro charts to ForeFlight.

I have it on fairly good authority that any product that licenses those charts will have to pay Jepp ~ €300. Working on the normal manufacturing markups (cost x2 to get the trade price) you are looking at ~ €1000, and IIRC that is what one of them (Flymap?) was indeed listed at.

It's also a thin market because while the charts are not bad value at ~€300/year retail, very few VFR-only pilots fly outside their own country, or maybe 1 or 2 others. So most will just fly with their national charts... it's a hard sell.

Administrator

I have written some notes in my quick impression of the product here

I suspect most people never saw that because of the subject header

Administrator
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message