Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Estimated value of my aircraft

Hello everyone.

I was going to post this in the classifieds but I wouldn’t know what price to ask; hence this thread.

OK, so basically I was just wondering if anyone could give me a rough estimate of the value of my 1972 Grumman AA5 Traveler. It has only around 1500 engine and 4500 air frame hours on it. It has a good instrument cluster, with a DME, mode C transponder, ADF, CDI (with G/S… however it’s not very accurate – not recommended for IMC ILS), original auto level function, multi frequency radio stack, etc.

It had £6,000 spent on it in the last annual. When we bought it, it had a lot of ‘niggles’, but they’ve obviously been rectified. It had new tyres fitted all-round as well.

The annual is coming up at the end of this year, but considering the huge investment last year I should think there won’t be much to do on her – especially since I only fly maybe once or twice every three weeks on average.

Thank you very much for any help.

Which avionics are installed (8,33 kHZ)? How old are engine (TSOH or TSN), interior and exterior?

Generally, are you in contact with the IME very helpful owner networks (AYA, Grumman Gang)? They have sone experts who can provide type-specific advice.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

There are four on plane check, average asking price is 36k EUR.

People who are really looking for this type will contact you and try to negotiate regardless of asking price.

LPFR, Poland

Be ready to meet or communicate with many time spenders ,weird personalities and insulting smart ones.

LGGG

Buyer’s perspective….

Be ready to meet totally emotional sellers who inflate the value on an annual basis and believe that they can 1on1 back what they spent on essential maintenance

equally exaggerated, not untrue, though…

EDM_, Germany

Hi guys. Unfortunately it is negative 8.33. The engine has done about 1650 hours since new. And the airframe has actually only done 3600 hours.

I haven’t been in touch with any grumman communities, maybe that’s a good place to start!

As far as I know, the interior is original and apart from a tear on the pax side, the seats are in really good nick. Even the towbar is an original piece haha. It has had one wing riveted at the trailing edge, due to the bonded design problems of course.

Ch.ess, you’re based at memmingen? I live in Scotland but have been there a lot due to family. Amazing city. Small world!

So from taking a wee look around I think maybe £25k or so would be reasonable. I’ve seen much worse aircraft sold for a lot more. What do you guys think?

What you spent on the last annual would not interest me any more than the new tires I am afraid. First impression is probably north of €10k for the avionics so I would want that reflected in the price. Engine 1500 hours – not impressive. Sorry to be negative…

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Since you explicitly ask for it and without wanting to talk down your plane (after all, I may soon be selling a plane myself), these are my 2 cents:

- buyer will have to buy and install an used 430 for 8,33 kHZ plus the accompanying indicator = 8 k Euros
- buyer will have to buy and install a Mode S transponder = 3 k Euros
- buyer may have to buy and install a GMA340 or similar audio panel = 3 k Euros
- interior may need to be redone = 5 k Euros
- exterior may need to be redone = 15 k Euros
- engine work is quite likely coming up soon

Before buying our present plane, we had a look at several AA5B in the UK in 2009/2010. The ones that were in comparable condition were offered below 20k Euros. Examples with 430 and mode S, but “handicapped cosmetics”, were offered at or below 30k Euros. Note that these were Tigers, which usually fetch substantially higher prices than Travellers.

Last Edited by blueline at 18 Jul 12:45
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria
46 Posts
Sign in to add your message