Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen Data and VAT

Does anyone get the Jeppesen Nav Data downloaded through their computer and do you pay either a Sales Tax or VAT?

This is especially true for Airmen using a German address.

Thanks in advance.

KHTO, LHTL

If you buy it from a distributor within the EU I think you have to pay the VAT which is relevant for where you live and not where you purchase.

Therefore you should get charged 19% as you mention Germany.

How it works if the distributor is outside of the EU, I have no idea.

EDHS, Germany

I think the US never pays back tax to people living in other countries, so you have to always pay it.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Vladimir wrote:

I think the US never pays back tax to people living in other countries, so you have to always pay it.

There is no reason for the US to pay back tax collected in Germany!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

My subscription is directly with Jeppesen. The product is handled directly through the internet.

KHTO, LHTL

Airborne_Again wrote:

I mean for tax collected in the US. If you live in Switzerland and buy something in Germany you can get the German VAT back (and pay VAT in Switzerland above a certain value). If you buy something from the US though you don’t get the tax (equivalent of VAT) but you still have to pay VAT in Switzerland. I suppose the same is valid if you buy something from the US and import it in Germany. And that is valid for all goods but they cannot trace software for private people so they go around it. If you are a company and buy software from the US, you still owe VAT in your country though.

Last Edited by Vladimir at 20 Aug 15:46
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Airborne_Again wrote:

It is not collected in Germany by Germany but as is the case with US sales tax the company selling is required to collect the Tax for the government entity. Just not sure if Germany requires Jeppesen to collect the VAT on their behalf.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

Just not sure if Germany requires Jeppesen to collect the VAT on their behalf.

Yes, for sales to residents of Germany it is. That is due to some EU regulation on VAT on the internet. Before scams like Amazon would “sell” electronic books from the EU country with the lowest VAT.

If you tell Jepp your US address, they would not charge you VAT (unless they’re in the same state).

Jeppesen collects and pays taxes to the US (or state) government. You have to request it back from the US (not from the company) but I checked recently (for a headset) and they don’t pay it back. They do between states though.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

No, Jeppesen have to follow EU VAT law for all sales to residents of the EU. They are also incorporated in Germany (Frankfurt, former Bottlang company) which they use for all European sales.

38 Posts
Sign in to add your message