Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EU to PAY Britain millions (subsidy) for 8.33 migration (merged)

This is currently circulating on several Dutch aviation websites:

Europe Air Sports (EAS) has investigated the possibility to claim (partial) costs of the replacement of the 25 kHz radios for 8.33 kHz versions. The European commission has announced that they will credit maximum of 20% of the new value including additional costs as installing.
This only concerns the equipment which will be purchased after 1-1-2016…..
Unfortunately not so good news for the “early” adaptors.

Source: http://www.knvvl.nl/europese-vergoeding-833-khz-radio/ (Dutch Only)

Oh No ! This might me having to say something good about the European commssion !

I asked KNVVL question about this, how a COM/NAV etc is regarded. They didn’t responded yet. Unfortunatly the information is partially incorrect. The is not only applicable to The Netherlands. I wonder why they publish half information.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

What a relief, the Dutch get 20% help with 8.33 and the rest of us get sweet FA ! But if I want some sort of social benifits the rest of the EU would tell me to go home but those from the EU can come to the UK and get these benifits.

At least the Dutch only subsidy re-enforces my view that EU membership for the UK is just a meal ticket for the rest of Europe.

Anyhow Jesse, if you can give us a little more information on this please, I don’t read Dutch very well and would be very interested just who is paying for this and why if it is from the EU why it is only avalable in the Netherlands.

Last Edited by A_and_C at 08 Dec 08:21

The way I see it, this is a preliminary step which will be implemented across Europe, after all Europe Air Sports didn’t start this process with a view of assisting just the dutch pilots. This information will also be submitted to the national aeroclubs….

EDL*, Germany

A_and_C wrote:

Anyhow Jesse, if you can give us a little more information on this please, I don’t read Dutch very well and would be very interested just who is paying for this and why if it is from the EU why it is only avalable in the Netherlands.

How about starting with this:

Jesse wrote:

Unfortunatly the information is partially incorrect. The is not only applicable to The Netherlands.

EC wouldn’t refund just the Dutch.

Last Edited by Martin at 08 Dec 09:06

Sorry for the confusion.

It is not only for the Dutch (I would say). The KNVVL (Dutch club) stated that 8,33 kHz is only mandatory in the Netherlands, which is not true.

My quick translation of the article

Our 25 kHz must be replaced by 8.33 kHz radio’s. This is EU legislation which is due january 1St 2018. Within Europe, the Netherlands is the only country where 8.33 kHz is currently mandatory (Jesse: This is not true, it is not mandatory in all airspaces, and these regulations are the same in some other EU countries which have a need for more frequencies)
Due to this EU legislation Europe Air Sport (EAS) is started investigating if these cost can be declared at the EU.
It was researched on how many aircraft in Europe these 8,33 kHz should be installed. A calculation showed the total amount for these modifications is in the millions region.
After discussion with the commision the following was achieved:
The European Commision has agreed that is will accept declaration for the cost, at that these will be honored upto a maximum of 20% of cost, including cost needed for installation. This will only be valid for radio’s installated after 1-1-2016. This will not be valid for installations done before this date. It is expected that the application can be honored from March 2016 and that the first payments will be made at the end of 2016. It is not possible to go to this process on an individual basis. This will be coordinated true Europe Air Sports and communicated with national aviation clubs in Europe.

Therefore it lacks quite some information. Partially it is incorrect. I wonder how much of this is actually correct. Personally I haven’t heard for Europe Air Sports, though it might be possible?

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

A_and_C wrote:

my view that EU membership for the UK is just a meal ticket for the rest of Europe.

I don’t see how this is aviation related…

Jesse wrote:

Personally I haven’t heard for Europe Air Sports, though it might be possible?

Europe Air Sports is an association similar to IAOPA although I don’t know any details.
you can find more things here : http://www.europe-air-sports.org/about-us/history/
and here : http://www.europe-air-sports.org/about-us/members/

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

Jesse wrote:

I wonder why they publish half information

Unfortunatly in Dutch only: Geen vergoeding 8,33 kHz radio

In de KNVvL nieuwsbrief van 30 november jl. is bericht dat, op basis van berichtgeving vanuit Europe Air Sports (EAS), een mogelijkheid zou komen tot een bijdrage in de kosten vanuit de Europese Commissie voor de verplichte vervanging van 25 kHz radio’s door 8.33 kHz radio’s. De KNVvL heeft deze mogelijkheid uitvoerig bestudeerd en contact gehad met EAS en het, door andere EU landen ingehuurde, aanvraagbureau. Gedurende dit onderzoek is gebleken dat de kosten en de complexiteit van de aanvraag bij de Europese Commissie aanzienlijk zullen zijn. Kosten die primair door de KNVvL gedragen en dan doorberekend moeten worden. Daarbij worden de aanvraagtermijnen, die gesteld worden door zowel nationale overheden als de Europese Commissie, zeer strikt gehandhaafd. De eerste termijn valt al op 18 januari a.s. Verder is naar voren gekomen dat het aantal reeds aangeschafte 8.33 kHz radio’s bij de KNVvL onbekend is, waardoor het financiële risico voor KNVvL én aanvragers onbekend is. Ook is überhaupt niet zeker of de aanvraag door de Europese Commissie gehonoreerd zal worden. Na zorgvuldige overweging van al deze factoren, belangen en onzekerheden, heeft de KNVvL noodgedwongen moeten besluiten dit proces niet in te gaan en geen aanvraag bij de Europese Commissie in te dienen.

My quick translation:
In the newsletter dated November 30th, information is published, based on information from Europe Air Sports (EAS) that an oppertunity was available, that European Union would partially refund the mandatory replacement of 25 kHz by 8,33 kHz radio’s. The KNVvL (Dutch club, Jesse) has reviewed this possibility and discussed this with EAS and application-organisation contacted by other EU countries. During this review it was clear that cost for this application are high and that the process is highly complex. Cost would have to made primary by the KNVvL, and then charged to others. The application term, as set by national and European Community must be followed precisely. The first term is due Januari 18th 2016.
It is unknown to KNVvl how much 8,33 kHz are allready bought, making the risk for KNVvL and applicants unknown. It even is not sure if the application would be approved by the European Commision at all. KNVvL has after carefull consideration determined not to go ahead, and will not send an application to the European Commision.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

just one catch….you need a glider.

Is there any particular reason why only (UK?) glider owners should benefit from this fund, or is it being extended to the whole UK GA fleet?

The British Gliding Association has supplied information to the CAA in support of a funding bid to help owners with their costs of equipping with 8.33 kHz capable radios. This bid opportunity followed effective lobbying at the European Commission four years ago by Europe Air Sports.
The CAA facilitated bid has been successful; a recently published European Commission document listing 200 successful projects under what are called the ‘CEF transport call for proposals’ includes ‘2015-UK-TM-0150-M, SESAR, Other Projects, 8.33kHz Radio Equipage for the UK GA Fleet. Total estimated costs 21,7 million Euro. Funding granted 4,4 million Euro (20%)’. You can view the document below

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes/infrastructure/ten-t-guidelines/project-funding/doc/cef/2015-cef-selected-proposals.pdf

Last Edited by 2greens1red at 17 Jun 18:03
Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya
47 Posts
Sign in to add your message