Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

ForeFlight Announces Version 8.0 with world wide vector mapping

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2016/july/24/foreflight-offers-new-features

KUZA

Those two statements don’t appear very consistent to me:

“The paradigm of distinct VFR sectional or IFR en route charts will start to fade away,” Weihs said.

The price of ForeFlight subscriptions won’t change. It’s still $99 a year for “Basic Plus” that includes VFR and IFR charts, and $199 a year for “Pro Plus” designed for professional pilots.

Why even mention that I get “VFR and IFR charts” if there is no more such thing?

I am currently looking into what subscription I’ll take out for a trip to the US this September, and it seems you can’t get a subscription for less than a year any more. Seems like I’ll be trying out how my Skydemon will acquit itself of US navigation.

That’s excellent….it looks like I’ll be moving to Houston next month do no doubt I will become a lot more familiar with FF..,

EGPD / OMDW / YPJT, United Kingdom

Full disclosure, I am a consultant to ForeFlight.

Here
is a link to a video.

KUZA

Rwy20 wrote:

Seems like I’ll be trying out how my Skydemon will acquit itself of US navigation.

Unfortunately SD doesn’t have the US airport charts for some reason….and although it shows notams I’m not sure if TFRs are depicted graphically…,

EGPD / OMDW / YPJT, United Kingdom

OK, then it’ll be the 1 free month for Garmin Pilot. No way I’m paying one year and using two weeks.

Perhaps Avare might work, seems to be getting good reviews from the Android crowd…

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

NCYankee wrote:

Full disclosure, I am a consultant to ForeFlight

In this capacity (great product, btw, congrats!!): will there be the option to retain the sectional / TAC charts in their current format in v8? Have to say I’ve gotten very used to them over the years. Old habits…….

AnthonyQ wrote:

Unfortunately SD doesn’t have the US airport charts for some reason….and although it shows notams I’m not sure if TFRs are depicted graphically…

I just checked, and they have neither. So clearly useless in the US. Thanks for the heads up, Anthony.

172driver wrote:

In this capacity (great product, btw, congrats!!): will there be the option to retain the sectional / TAC charts in their current format in v8? Have to say I’ve gotten very used to them over the years. Old habits…….

Sectionals, TACs, IFR Low, and IFR high charts are available in the US and Canada. So is terrain. They can form the base for the vector maps or you can choose to display either by itself. At some point in the future, the FAA will likely shift to just providing the data and various applications will render the maps dynamically. But that is a ways off.

KUZA
502 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Back to Top