Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Peter wrote:

There is a difference between the lower airways and the upper airways. The Autorouter could not do the upper ones in its early days. RR concentrates on the upper airway crowd and clearly the price is OK there. It would be interesting to see of FF does the lower airways, below FL200.

I have done the Autorouter v GP v Foreflight V Rocketroute comparison and I will post a separate thread shortly. But to answer Peter’s question here, I found no difference in speed in finding a validated route or route overhead filing at FL100 or FL250 using Foreflight.

Lydd

Jason, your FL170 route in post #9 is normal. Below FL200 one has to go around Paris, one way or the other. The other route to LDLO is via Belgium Germany etc and it is probably a bit shorter. This is it (this one is the LDSB but is almost identical)

Dave, the route EGKA SFD Y803 DVR L9 KONAN L607 RUDUS L984 SULUS Z650 TONSU Z35 LOMKI LKPR is perfectly good. The return route is however not good

although a detour around Frankfurt is common if flying below about FL130.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From here

Hi all,
I’ve used ForeFlights in the US and it never disappointed.
I’m now located in Germany and I’m trying to find out the best setup for flying in Europe.

Jason C, interesting to see that you use ForeFlights in Europe, has doesn’t have most of the American capabilities.

To this regards, appears to me that Garmin Pilot is better in Europe.
Alexis you seem to have interest in Garmin Pilot, pheraps you use it?

Could you spare a few words about those apps in Europe?

Thanks
Enrico

Germany

Foreflight works well for me but I am exclusively very (for GA) high altitude IFR. It is getting better but perhaps not yet ideal for low altitude VFR/IFR.

GP is also OK but has flaws. What exactly are you doing with your flying?

EGTK Oxford

@EBruschini, what ForeFlight American capabilities are missing in it in Europe?

LSZK, Switzerland

Thank you for the replies!
I’m more interested for low altitudes VFR flights.
This thread is extremely interesting
https://www.euroga.org/forums/hangar-talk/9059-eurocontrol-planning-and-routing-applications-a-comparison?page=1
but it’s mainly for IFR altitudes and routes.

Any feedback for VFR flights?

Germany

For VFR you can choose between SkyDemon and Easy VFR (both very good), Garmin Pilot and Jeppesen Mobile Flight Deck VFR. All 4 have plus and minus points and all offer a 30 day free trial.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Foreflight just announced new features for Europe:

https://www.foreflight.com/europe/

Will check them out at AERO on Saturday…

Last Edited by nickflyer at 18 Apr 06:23

Here ForeFlight Previews ForeFlight Mobile for Europe at Aero Friedrichshafenis. Here is the announcement. A European specific version of ForeFlight will be offered this summer

Last Edited by NCYankee at 19 Apr 12:13
KUZA, United States

I had a good look at Foreflight at EDNY. It is a very slick app.

They have finally got a good VFR airspace map. I could not see anything wrong with it. Not all airspace labels are shown at zoom factors in which they perhaps should be, but all the tablet apps face this issue and it is always going to depend on the screen size, possibly config, and how young your eyes are

The basic subscription of c. €100 now includes Eurocontrol route generation and a quick comparison with the Autorouter on EGKA-EDNY and back showed no significant difference. Clearly it is important to report to them any routes which don’t work because that is how the Autorouter got those sorted. I know FlightPlanPro did it partly by storing certain popular but tricky fragments as pre-routed, which is not the way it should work. They also need to add in the feature to exclude countries, for the most common issue of French ATC strikes; one can do this using fly-by waypoints but sometimes it gets tricky to do it that way.

They have a 30 day trial. I was not able to consider testing the product because I don’t have an Ipad Well, my old Ipad2 would probably not work well. There is no Android version and none is planned.

There are some clever things in there. One of them is a “glide circle” which is computed using the terrain map, the aircraft glide performance, and the GFS winds aloft (downloaded before you go flying). I found the user interface well designed and intuitive.

The license covers both a tablet (or two?) and a PC subscription which (cleverly) runs in a browser tab. I don’t know if the browser version is a locally running app or just a website; I seem to recall the latter. They all synchronise.

A video from the USA:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message