Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

That’s huge – they’re on strike 6% of the time. Having said that, it’s very unlucky that the majority of your flights took place on those specific days.

EGTF, LFTF

They heard he was coming. :)

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

I have some questions / gripes

“Packing”
What’s the deal with the “Packing” for a trip. I planned a flight (EGSX→EDDH), and seemed to need to click “Pack” through half a dozen of screens, mostly on the “Flights” pane, but then also once on the “Maps” page.

Is there an option to just keep everything downloaded (preferably automatically", “a la” GP, or to at least minimize clicks?

Routing
Once I found the routes option, I only had one proposal. Autorouter suggests many.
The routing from uncontrolled airfield (EGSX) seemed also far less optimal than Autorouter (the departure created a very large overhead with a “loop” at the start).
The first point of the route wa
In testing revalidation, I’m a bit surprised that a lot of the edits I did to try to break the route actually did, but I actually got it to reject a route (but couldn’t see a reason).

Imagery
I can’t see the Significant weather charts (especially low level), such as UK F215/F415 or French TEMSI.

Charts pane
Is there a way to just clear all? Is the only way to see a plate there to first add it then open it? If you want to have a peek, it means you also have to delete it after. 3 actions instead of 1.
How do people use that pane usually?

Procedures
All all france missing? Nothing returned for LFPN (I don’t have Jepp) sub.

Scratchpads Any way to delete all?

Last Edited by Noe at 25 Jun 11:12

Peter wrote:

I also had the help of Achim (one of the two Autorouter programmers) but he has now de facto disappeared so I can’t count on it again and neither could anyone else

To set things straighter, there is still Autorouter (excellent) support: just a week or two ago I updated an old ticket the other day and reply / fix was very promt.
I interpret your statement as if they had disappeared from everywhere and not just from here, which is misleading.

I use Autorouter too but I doubt one would get a custom VFR (“Z”) solution, to skip a sector on strike, via a support ticket

I also doubt there is any way to do that automatically, even though the sectors on strike (or more generally ones with delays) are visible on a Eurocontrol web page. One has to just avoid the whole country, if this is to be provided via the user interface.

If one has the ability to view that Eurocontrol “strikes page”, and one has the ability to manually edit the flight planned route to insert the VFR and IFR terms (before and after the strike region, respectively), then one can do it on the move, but it is difficult to do if all you have with you is a phone.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter,

You could try the RR avoid country option:

https://www.rocketroute.com/blog/avoid-countries-feature

Sure, but this is a Foreflight thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Noe wrote:

I have some questions / gripes

“Packing”
What’s the deal with the “Packing” for a trip. I planned a flight (EGSX→EDDH), and seemed to need to click “Pack” through half a dozen of screens, mostly on the “Flights” pane, but then also once on the “Maps” page.

I have never packed. Just download and enable automatic downloads.

Routing
Once I found the routes option, I only had one proposal. Autorouter suggests many.
The routing from uncontrolled airfield (EGSX) seemed also far less optimal than Autorouter (the departure created a very large overhead with a “loop” at the start).
The first point of the route wa
In testing revalidation, I’m a bit surprised that a lot of the edits I did to try to break the route actually did, but I actually got it to reject a route (but couldn’t see a reason).

Routing is getting better but still has a way to go.

Charts pane
Is there a way to just clear all? Is the only way to see a plate there to first add it then open it? If you want to have a peek, it means you also have to delete it after. 3 actions instead of 1.
How do people use that pane usually?

I just load charts from Airports tab.

Last Edited by JasonC at 25 Jun 21:29
EGTK Oxford

I’m just trialing the various FF features and have reported several little bugs to them (for example the flight category layer not recognizing NCD as a VFR, i.e. green, state). I have a question regarding the routing feature in FF. I tested a flight routing from EGSX – EGJA on 28th July 09:00 UTC both on FF and Autorouter. The aircraft profiles are identical in both versions (climb, cruise, decent performance).

Autorouter gives me the standard route down towards LYD first:

EGSX N0142F040 NEPNA DCT LYD DCT ADLOG DCT ODREP EGJA

FF gives me a route straight over London and EGKK which I presumed wasn’t that simple in a single-engine aircraft with a relatively slow climb rate:

EGSX N0142F080 TAWNY NELKO GOKTU ODREP REVTU EGJA

(Pictures attached below for reference)

My two questions being:

1) Why is FF giving such a different route / not at least offering the LYD alternative (there is only that 1 option on FF). How did this come out as valid…
2) To my understanding anything that is Eurocontrol valid can be filed and it’s then up to ATC to make it work. Practically speaking would your clearance be amended on departure or what would happen if this was filed and flown?

FF:

AutoRouter:

Last Edited by TimR at 27 Jun 14:48
EGSX

I don’t think you can legally accept the FF routing in a single engine because of the land clear rule – it may be valid, accepted by IFPS and even offered to you by ATC but it’s up to you to reject it.

Don’t think FF is smart enough to understand that. SD on the other hand, being based in the UK, probably has a few lines of code for just that scenario.

Last Edited by Berto at 27 Jun 14:14
EBZW
Sign in to add your message