Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter_Mundy wrote:

So I just tried the VFR router using the profile for a P28U. Check the log and what do I see – TAS 217 kts

Hi Peter_Mundy,

A couple of questions for you as I have just recreated your route and set up a profile as you had shown in your screenshot. With the aircraft in question, did you choose an aircraft with an ICAO code from the “Aircraft Type” field? I ask because for our routing engine in Europe, it requires an ICAO code for to best compute a route. Also, would you mind sending me your route? I made a guess off of your image and used EHLE and EHTW and was able to find a route that maxed out at 130 kts when I was reviewing the navlog. This again was created using the information provided in your screenshot and choosing an aircraft type with P28U as the code.

We are continuing to look into it on our end and I will get back to you if we see any issues.

Thanks,

Josh

Last Edited by Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight at 10 Oct 11:39
FF Director of Product - International
KGTU, United States

Hi Peter_Mundy,

An update for you. Our routing team found that the ICAO code sent with the routing request was P28T instead of P28U which causes our routing engine to use a generic aircraft as we do not have a performance profile for the P28T to calculate routing. One other item to check in the aircraft is that the max flight level is set otherwise it will automatically set no default which can cause the system to choose an aircraft with the higher performance which would result in the strange speeds you were seeing.

If the aircraft was set to P28T, used the speed you have provided, and had the other information filled in it should provide a correct route using the settings you have provided.

We will be working on adding some new notifications to inform users when we are missing information that can provide the most accurate routings.

Josh

KGTU, United States

Thanks for finding the solution for me

My other major problem is with VRPs. I see them on my screen with the correct annotation but most of the time they appear in the navlog under a different name which is not very helpful.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

No problem at all!

Absolutely appreciate that feedback. Those are on our list!

Josh

KGTU, United States

Also, show VOR frequencies on the Map (when clicking over)?

Hi Noe,

Just to make sure I understand, are you asking to see the frequencies for the VORs on the map or when tapping them?

I ask because right now we are aware of an issue with filtering on the Aeronautical Layer where VORs are only shown when airways are toggled on (we are working on correcting this in a future release). If airways are enabled the VORs show the frequency on the map as well as additional information when tapped.

Josh

KGTU, United States

Peter wrote:

FF seems to run down the Ipad battery much faster than SD

As a VFR user of both with more than 500Hrs on each, I’ve not found this. I’ve flown 8 Hr days time-sharing two iPads with both products – FF in US, SD in Europe – but only just. You really have to eke out power to be sure of the vital VAC or AF/D charts at your final destination. Worse, both products have restrictions on having more than one spare activated, which is limiting, pointless and potentially dangerous. I carry 4 iPads, but only 2 can be ‘live’. Yes I have cigar lighter (No good in the Cessna) and battery pack, but my real reserve is switching off one of the iPads at 25% and leaving it there.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The main thing Foreflight needs for European VFR is map declutter i.e. suppress airspace above a specified altitude.

I tried out FF as my SD subscription ran out this summer and found it pretty much unusable for VFR in Germany out of that reason.

And, please, also include an airspace filter by type. When flying VFR there is absolutely no need to display airspace Echo and Golf boundaries. Just makes the map more cluttered.

Second: please do something about the way topograhpy is displayed and map detail in general.

Looks like the sun was standing in the NW ;-)

Otherwise I think that FF has great potential…

Last Edited by Supersonic at 24 Oct 19:35
EDNG, EDST, EDMT, Germany

Supersonic wrote:

Looks like the sun was standing in the NW ;-)

To nitpick, at that location, the sun does set in the NW around the summer solstice (but I am also aware that this is a rendering and not a picture taken at sunset)

Sign in to add your message