Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Hi @TimR,

You are correct that the Winds Aloft layer is not currently available from plan.foreflight.com at the moment. I will make sure the team is aware and see what we can do to get that added to the web. I don’t have a time frame to share but appreciate the feedback.

Josh

FF Director of Product - International
KGTU, United States

@chflyer, these are FAA publications, which you can download for free form the FAA website. You then either open them in FF (if you downloaded on the iPad) or send them there via Airdrop. Easy, peasy. You can then create a ‘binder’ in the ‘Documents’ section (here I assume the European UI is identical to the US one) and have them handy in one place.

@172driver Yes, I’m aware of that and have done it. The difference is that those in the FF Catalog are updated automatically when new versions appear as part of the regular download step in FF vs my needing to keep checking for changes and replacing when needed. Not a big deal, but that and the additional update steps to manually keep them up to date is just 3 more documents to manage manually.

Josh, I understand and basically agree in principle. But putting the few I mentioned in the FAA section of the Catalog for all users means that only those interested would need to be bothered selecting them. Most Europe or Canada users might not even look there if not interested.

BTW, I assume that users with the Europe coverage have a “Europe” section in the Documents Catalog? I have Canada coverage, because I fly there too and then have the Jeppesen IFR/VFR coverage for my Europe flying. There is a Jeppesen section of the Catalog which has the Airway Manuals containing the various country AIP information as well as the common chart legend. For the Europe subscription (not Jepp), are all the country AIPs included separately in the Catalog, as well as the chart legends for each country, since the VAC/IAP formats are different for each country? What would be in the FF Europe coverage that is not already contained in the Jepp Europe package?

Last Edited by chflyer at 28 Jan 17:54
LSZK, Switzerland

I tried using this file of AT airspace by opening it in foreflight (ios) but it is not showing after the app launches. Any help appreciated.
https://www.austrocontrol.at/jart/prj3/ac/data/dokumente/20190228LuftraumAT_V1.0_2019-01-03_0901672.kmz

always learning
LO__, Austria

@Snoopy We currently do not support KMZ files, but do support KML files. If you are able to convert this to KML, you should be able to open this file.

Josh

KGTU, United States

Hi @chflyer,

Understood on the FAA docs. On the Europe label in Documents, yes that is correct. The Europe folder in documents will contain individual docs for the GEN, ENR, and AD sections of each countries AIP. The biggest difference between Europe FF vs. Europe Jepp coverage is the government versions of the instrument and visual procedure charts when available. Jepp coverage only includes those produced by Jeppesen. It really just comes down to preference and cost. Jepp for all of Europe is significantly more expensive, however, it does provide consistency from country to country.

I hope that answers your question. If you’d like more information, please let me know.

Josh

KGTU, United States

Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight wrote:

We currently do not support KMZ files, but do support KML files. If you are able to convert this to KML, you should be able to open this file.

AFAIK, a KMZ file is just a zip file containing a KML file, so just unzip it :)

ELLX

Thank you will try it!

always learning
LO__, Austria

To import KMZ to Foreflight:

1) Open KMZ in Google Earth
2) Select map overlay and “save as” KML
3) Open KML in Foreflight.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Is there a relatively easy way to export user waypoints from Garmin Pilot to ForeFlight – other than typing them into a spreadsheet and saving in .csv format?

GP can export user waypoints to a “.gplt” file, but (in true GARMIN fashion…) that seems to be a proprietary format.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message