Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Could someone please explain how Jeppesen data integrates with Foreflight?

Take an example scenario which is a PC which has a Jeppview package running on it, with the European IFR plus “VFR Europe” coverage. This delivers terminal charts (approach plates) for that region. It also carries what Jepp call “text pages” which is basically not very usable AIP extracts (15+ years ago, before the AIPs were online, it is all there was…).

The Jeppview package runs under a key which is one of the four keys which Jepp supply as standard. The other three are all installed on other computers.

Can the above be used in conjunction with Foreflight running on an Ipad?

Or does one need a Jeppview product which has a spare installation key?

With the demise of JeppTC the other ways to display terminal charts on an Ipad are

• JeppFD (needs extra installation key, obviously)
  • use a PDF reader to display PDFs generated separately from Jeppview
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, the easiest way would be to test install an unused key on Foreflight. I have never heard of anyone using a Jeppview key on a mobile device. Do those keys work in JeppFD as that is the type of key you need? In any event you would need an unused key.

When used that way you get what you get under Jepp FD via the Foreflight interface.

EGTK Oxford

Thanks Jason. So if I have this right, you use the Jepp installation key in FF and it goes and downloads the data from Jepp servers?

Does it run any Jepp application code?

Anyway, it sounds like there is no way to sideload Jepp data into FF.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Thanks Jason. So if I have this right, you use the Jepp installation key in FF and it goes and downloads the data from Jepp servers?

Correct.

EGTK Oxford

I just logged in using my Jeppesen credentials in foreflight settings for Jeppesen and it downloaded the data. Does that help?

Last Edited by Snoopy at 05 Mar 16:52
always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter,

As JasonC indicates, you need an unused Jepp seat. If you only have one key, you will have to free it up by removing it from where it is currently used and then log in to Jeppesen on a ForeFlight device. Jepp charts and plates are not available on the web. Once you have installed the Jepp coverage on a device, you then download the charts and plates using the App. If you purchase the Jepp support thru ForeFlight, rather than using a seat purchased thru Jepp, you can use it on up to three devices with ForeFlight, one iPhone and two iPads.

KUZA, United States

OK; thanks all. I am trying to work out the benefits, over having Jepp plates as PDFs separately on the tablet.

Presumably FF gives you georeferenced plates i.e. the aircraft position is shown laterally on the plate (if it is drawn to scale; most sids and stars are not). Does it show it vertically also i.e. above/below the glideslope? That would be very unusual.

Administrator

Yes to first question, no to the second (vertical display). You can display the chart alone or display it on the map. In both cases, the aircraft position if known is shown on the chart.

I assume by vertical you mean display on the profile view at the bottom of the plate. That would imply two aircraft icons, one on the plan view and one on the profile view. Have you ever seen this anywhere?

BTW, if you have plates in pdf format that aren’t part of either the Jepp package or the public AIPs (Europe region coverage), these can be added to Foreflight in a way that they show up for the airport in question under the various plate tabs (Airport (Taxi), Departure, Arrival, Approach), just like the standard plates. FF calls this BYOP. The instructions to do this are here:

https://www.foreflight.com/support/support-center/category/about-foreflight-mobile/207304618

The only difference is that BYOP plates can’t be geo-referenced (yet).

Also, if you have your own maps such as for example one with all the chateaux on the Loire, if that can be geo-referenced then you can add it as custom content and it will appear as a special map layer that can overlay the other(s). Instructions to do this are here:

https://foreflight.com/support/content-packs/

Last Edited by chflyer at 05 Mar 18:55
LSZK, Switzerland

Have you ever seen this anywhere?

No specific recollection of it. You are right; would need two aircraft symbols.

if you have plates in pdf format that aren’t part of either the Jepp package or the public AIPs (Europe region coverage), these can be added to Foreflight in a way that they show up

That is really interesting. Unfortunately the very specific file naming requirements appear to be very difficult to implement in any automated PDF generation process from Jeppview.

Administrator

Has anyone ever used FF to file a VFR flight plan? I found it kind of odd that the route needs to be validated resp. valid to be filed.
For VFR I often have custom waypoints which get put as coordinates in the flight plan by FF. When I file “manually” (via the Skyguide website) I typically put city/town names in the route. Does ATC/SAR care if the route has coordinates instead of names?

Switzerland
Sign in to add your message