Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Why Weight & Balance can’t be opened with some PDF application installed on device like Briefing, Navlog or Flight plan? It can be only be sent via e-mail as PDF and then opened.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Hi @Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight

Question for you that I believe has come up before but…. planning a flight here (FF Perf Plus user)… Start with departure & destination field and then route finder.

First option looks good to me. 2h46min and 36.6USG at FL90. I accept.

Back in map view.

You can see how the route planner has put in this step-change in altitude EGKB-DET at 5000ft and then FL90. However… route is showing 2hr54min and 36USG…

A little further investigation reconciles the two… in the picture below you can see how the 2hr54min reconciles with a flight at 5000ft and 2hr46min with a flight at FL90.

How can this be? What do I trust? Does that mean the wind data is actually for 5000ft in map view even though 90% of the flight is at FL90? I know the differences are small for this particular flight and aircraft but this could be vastly different for a longer flight / higher FF aircraft / bigger altitude delta (i.e. large wind differences).

To note; I pay £239.99 a year (!) for what is called according to your website “Detailed Aircraft Performance Profiles” with “Improved Time & Fuel Calculations”…“The industry’s most accurate flight time and fuel burn calculations for all weight, temperature and wind conditions using aircraft profiles built from manufacturer climb, cruise and descent book value performance data.”

I am starting to question that is true if it looks like the two screens are using different engines and I now don’t know if they include altitude changes at all?

@Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight would you be able to please explain in detail how the route calculation process works in the app, why there is a delta, which to trust and how the fuel burn and wind is actually factored into the route?

Many thanks!

Last Edited by TimR at 18 May 09:21
EGSX

Hi @Emir,

I’ve forwarded your request to the right team to take a look at it and see what we can do about sharing.

Josh

FF Director of Product - International
KGTU, United States

Hi @TimR,

I am by no means the expert on flight calculation or the in’s and out’s of our performance engine, however, I am forwarding your message to our flight planning team to see what they say.

In the meantime, can I just confirm the route provided the change in altitude and you didn’t add that manually? I just wanted to confirm because my first thought was after you select a route that has a different cruise altitude is that it will ask you if you want to update the altitude and maybe that was missed. I’d expect to see an altitude change in route delivered by the flight planning engine (again, not an expert here, but that is just my first thought).

It might be best for you send a message to [email protected] and mention you were having calculation issues. Mention my name and they will make sure I’m added on the case as well. We can take a deeper look at your account that way without you having to share your account info in the forum. That’ll help us get all the information we need.

We’ll get it figured out,
Josh

KGTU, United States

Hi all,

Just wanted to post the latest release notes from our May release

Internet Traffic via FlightAware

• In partnership with FlightAware, stream live global aircraft traffic directly in ForeFlight to analyze airport activity, check on an active flight, and more.
  • Internet Traffic is tied to the same Traffic map layer used to display ADS-B traffic, and that layer is now accessible any time you have an internet connection on the ground. The layer will automatically switch to showing only ADS-B traffic when you connect to an external ADS-B In device.
  • ForeFlight displays both airborne and ground traffic received via the internet just like it does ADS-B traffic, with altitude and tail number available at a glance, and many other details available with a tap for most traffic targets.
  • ForeFlight uses the distinct position reports received from FlightAware to interpolate each airborne target’s movement and display it smoothly on the map.
  • Internet Traffic is included in all ForeFlight subscription plans.

Slide-Out More Menu and Edit Tab Order

• Tapping the More tab in the bottom-right now displays a compact menu on the right side of the screen so you can view it without leaving the page you’re on.
  • Downloads, Settings, and a number of infrequently-used tabs appear as modals that you can quickly dismiss by swiping down from the top. Other tabs such as Checklist and Logbook open in full screen, double-column layouts on iPad to better utilize available screen space.
  • The last tab you opened from the More menu is always available just to the left of More with the new “Dynamic” tab, allowing you to quickly jump between that and your other tabs.
  • Tap “Edit Tab Order” in the More menu to rearrange ForeFlight’s tab bar however you like, including tabs that were previously only available in More. Tap “Reset To Default Order” to undo your changes.
  • Tab order does not sync between devices, allowing you to have different setups on iPad and iPhone to match how you use them.

Other Notable Enhancements

• ForeFlight on iPhone now supports all of the same features as iPad except Profile View, including the FPL “Bubble Editor” on Maps, dedicated Plate and Scratchpad views, and others.
  • Airports: the Frequencies, Services, AIP, and More tabs have been combined into a single “Info” tab; the Forecast Discussion is nested under the TAF section; and the airport popup on Maps now uses the same layout as the Airports view itself, providing faster access to Procedures, Runways, and more.
  • Maps: the Edit, NavLog, and Profile buttons have moved to the right edge of the FPL editor; hide or show the Aeronautical Map’s quick filter buttons on the left side of the screen using the new “Quick Filters” setting in Map Settings.
  • Support: new tab available just above About in the More menu, with links to support resources on ForeFlight’s website and the in-app Pilot’s Guide.

Multitasking Support on iPad

• ForeFlight on the iPad now supports iOS Multitasking, allowing you to use ForeFlight in Split Screen or Slide Over with other apps at the same time.
  • To open ForeFlight in Split Screen with another app that supports it, open either of them, swipe up slowly from the bottom of the screen to show the iOS dock, and drag the other app’s icon from the dock to either side of the screen and release it. Drag the separator between the two apps to change their relative sizes, or dismiss one app by dragging the separator all the way to one side of the screen.
  • Open ForeFlight on top of any app that doesn’t support Split Screen using Slide Over. Drag the ForeFlight icon from the iOS dock to the center of the screen instead of either side and release it.

More to come soon,
Josh

KGTU, United States

I don’t see any internet traffic in europe…

always learning
LO__, Austria

Looks to be airliners only in Europe at this moment… plus one low and slow police helicopter G-MPSA in the area of Gravesend, east of London.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 May 01:10

Hi @Snoopy and @Silvaire,

In order to prevent clutter, more traffic targets show as you zoom in. It may take a couple of seconds to reload to show these, but they are there. Aircraft at higher altitudes show when further out which is why it looks more sparse. Here is the video we posted to explain:

Around 2m40s is when we explain the zoom effect, but good to watch the whole video as well.

Here is a screenshot I just took near Frankfurt with both Commerical and GA traffic.

Here’s another around High Wycombe.

If you have any trouble, check-in with the pilot support team.

Have a good weekend all,
Josh

KGTU, United States

There are also a lot more aircraft about when it isn’t the middle of the night…

That helps too ;)

KGTU, United States
Sign in to add your message