Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

I am wondering why my Notams on ForeFlight have big gaps? Currently a bunch of TRA around Brize/Fairford but neither painted on ForeFlight, or if you drill down to find the Notams using the Airports they are not showing?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Robert,

Have you refreshed the latest NOTAMs using the Pack function?

KUZA, United States

Hi @NCYankee it has surfaced today, when the TRA commences. Ideally getting them depicted for the ETD (my ETD is today) would be the convention on other apps. Also I note it doesn’t show the precise geographical area, but just a large circle. Again other apps are showing the precise contour of the TRA.

In effect I have to cross check NOTAMS on other apps when planning using FF which given the brand is not ideal.

Another bugbear, possibly Brexit related, there is no LO IFR for the UK.

Supersonic wrote:

ForeFlight displays NOTAMs that indicate airspace becoming active two hours before they become active (in yellow), which changes to red when the NOTAM becomes active. Inactive NOTAMs that will become active greater than two hours in the future are not displayed until two hours of being active.
EDNG, EDST, EDMT, Germany

Supersonic wrote:

Inactive NOTAMs that will become active greater than two hours in the future are not displayed until two hours of being active.

Interesting. That might be ok for a jet, but for my lowly C172 that’s not so helpful for planning. S. Germany or Switzerland to the English channel is a 3-4 hour flight with many zones to cross. If the colour yellow is meant to be a heads-up of an upcoming activation, then the zone needs to turn yellow a lot earlier than 2 hours before.

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

Interesting. That might be ok for a jet, but for my lowly C172 that’s not so helpful for planning. S. Germany or Switzerland to the English channel is a 3-4 hour flight with many zones to cross.

Absolutely! I found out while planning a route through France with all its military TRAs (see my original post here: https://www.euroga.org/forums/hangar-talk/6600-foreflight-merged-thread/post/314787#314787).

Having NOTAMs popping up in-flight causes additional workload that could easily be avoided!

One also doesn’t generally have in-flight connectivity.

And I don’t turn on the Ipad until around engine start, which is probably exactly what nobody else does

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You don‘t need in-flight connectivity as the NOTAMs are usually published a few days in advance and thus are also known to ForeFlight. They are just not shown on the map until two hours before their activation.

In the NOTAM briefing section they are shown regardless of their activation time.

@Supersonic very helpful insights

My points still stand, other apps ‘forecast’ NOTAMS for the ETA even if a few days away, and provide accurate contours, not somewhat primitive blobs.

Corporate turbine traffic, FF core market, has to plan around NOTAMs in uncontrolled airspace in the UK.

Supersonic wrote:

You don‘t need in-flight connectivity as the NOTAMs are usually published a few days in advance and thus are also known to ForeFlight. They are just not shown on the map until two hours before their activation.

It’s FF’s way of keeping VFR flying ‘exciting’ Brief your flight and see nothing in your way. Get the aircraft fuelled up, do your walk around, get tax clearance, engine checks, and depart. Then get a ‘surprise’ of a massive restricted area suddenly being activated directly on your route. It will keep you on your toes and prevent you from getting bored in flight!

If you know about it in advance, it would be too easy! If only there was a way to do an Easy VFR flight

EIWT Weston, Ireland
Sign in to add your message