Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

chflyer wrote:

I assume by vertical you mean display on the profile view at the bottom of the plate. That would imply two aircraft icons, one on the plan view and one on the profile view. Have you ever seen this anywhere?

Doesn’t Skydemon do that (on AIP plates)?

ELLX

Really? Got a screenshot?

LSZK, Switzerland

It may have been only a “trial” on a beta version, and not deployed to the general public. Not sure. I’ve never seen it myself on my own SkyDemon. I’ve always assumed it was because the plate I was using was not georeferenced for the vertical profile part, because they have not gotten round to doing continental Europe yet. And when I fly to the UK, I forget to switch to SkyDemon to see if it works there; I’m concentrated on my approach and just stay in Garmin Pilot with the Jeppesen plate :)

ELLX

Boeing buys aviation app software firm ForeFlight
https://mobilemarketingmagazine.com/boeing-acquires-foreflight-aviation-apps

LGMG Megara, Greece

Indeed

BTW Eurocontrol doesn’t do VFR validation at all. And on Z or Y flight plans they ignore the VFR portion, AFAIK totally.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

lionel wrote:

It may have been only a “trial” on a beta version, and not deployed to the general public.

Indeed, that is confirmed: http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic27978.aspx#27979

It seems the response among the limited beta test group was not enthusiastic enough to make them think it was worth their while. If you disagree, go post on the forum there!

ELLX

This is interesting since the vertical profile is clearly not to scale. Perhaps all the terminal charts use the same x/y scaling? Also it would need manual georeferencing because there is no grid printed around it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

This is interesting since the vertical profile is clearly not to scale. Perhaps all the terminal charts use the same x/y scaling? Also it would need manual georeferencing because there is no grid printed around it.

My understanding is that the vertical profile is to scale, but on a different scale than the horizontal map part of the chart. Yes, the way Skydemon was discussing the feature (and its burden/cost), it certainly looked like they would need to manually georeference the vertical profile part, one by one.

ELLX

Could someone explain to me the advantages of ForeFlight compared to Skydemon or EasyVFR? I’m only a VFR pilot, so all the good IFR stuff is not (yet) relevant to me. I’ve played a bit around with Foreflight in the past, but I didn’t like it. For my feeling, it is not designed for practical usage in Europe, but perhaps I missed the point and/or the latest improvements. A lot of people around me and on the internet are freaking out: “finally Foreflight in Europe”, but I cannot understand the hype on it. Perhaps someone here can explain that to me… :-)

boscomantico wrote:

Switzerland wants city names and hates 5-letter waypoints.
That’s not quite true. Skyguide allows city names in flightplans, however waypoints are accepted as well. The AIP tells only about the possibility to send geographical locations, but it isn’t a requirement. Even FIS knows the most waypoints, they even gave me often a “next report” with a waypoint. Like in Germany, the Swiss FIS doesn’t have direct access to flightplans (which I find ridiculous, but that’s another discussion). So you can file waypoints in your flightplan and use city names or mountain passes for your routing report to FIS (or in reverse).
Last Edited by Frans at 20 Mar 15:14
Switzerland

Frans wrote:

A lot of people around me and on the internet are freaking out: “finally Foreflight in Europe”, but I cannot understand the hype on it. Perhaps someone here can explain that to me… :-)

For VFR only I wouldn’t even consider FF in Europe.
Poor airspace depiction, I don’t think they have graphical NOTAMs either, not all AIPs available, what else you looking for?

They have nice procedure / plates integration for IFR (and I hear routing, but I haven’t tested that myself), but even IFR it’s still a bit geared towards US (weather section has little for europe, FBO section is given a decent amount of relevance).

Sign in to add your message