Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Hi Jacko,

Thanks for clarifying.

Did a quick comparison. At first sight, all VRPs are accounted for in FF. On the other hand, a few smaller fields appear to be missing indeed.

Are there official sources for all the missing ones? If not, it’s a tricky situation. One might have to dig through the “Top Secret Farm Strip Guide, 1939 edition”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Emir wrote:

Today I noticed that Slovenian arrivals, approaches, taxi and departures are georeferenced while in Croatian set only approaches and taxi plates are georeferenced. Can somebody from FF team answer why not all plates are georeferenced?

Hi Emir,

With plates, we attempt to georeference everything that we can that is drawn to scale with priority given to Airport Diagrams and Approaches. We also will retry each data cycle to see if it is possible to georeference any chart updates. I will check with the team, but I hope that provides some insight.

Josh

ForeFlight - Head of International Gr...
KGTU, United States

Hi all,

I know @TimR and @Emir have posted some items that are available in the latest release, but wanted to add the full release notes:

Expanded Coverage for Italy, Croatia, and Slovenia
All European subscribers can now download AIPs for Italy, Croatia, and Slovenia, which include IFR high and low enroute charts, IFR and VFR procedure charts, airport diagrams, VFR ICAO charts for Italy, and documents. Jeppesen’s IFR and VFR aeronautical data is also included for all three countries.
New optional VFR add-ons are also available to enhance your visual flying:
Italy Avioportolano VFR Flight Guide
Italy Avioportolano VFR Chart
Italy DFS VFR 500 Chart
Croatia DFS VFR 500 Chart
Slovenia Rogers Data VFR Trip Kit
Slovenia Rogers Data VFR 1:200K Chart
Air Million VFR 1:1,000,000 Chart combo, which covers Western, Central, Southern, and some of Eastern Europe, as well as the Azores, Madeira, and Canary Islands.
ForeFlight already provides advanced flight planning capabilities in all three countries, including fast autorouting and EUROCONTROL route validation, IFR and VFR flight plan filing, and helpful flight plan notifications like EUROCONTROL slot allocation messages, flight suspension and de-suspension notices, and calculated takeoff time (CTOT) messages caused by flight plan delays.

Passenger App
Passenger is a free companion app to ForeFlight Mobile that lets your passengers follow along with the flight and know when they can expect to arrive.
Enable route sharing in More > Passenger to wirelessly share your current route with any nearby devices running Passenger. If you make changes to the route, ForeFlight will automatically transmit them to Passenger within seconds.
Available on the App Store now, Passenger is free to download and requires no setup, so let your friends and family know about it before they join you on your next flight!

Hide Airspace by Altitude
Declutter ForeFlight’s Aeronautical Map by hiding airspace above a selected altitude, making it easier to focus on airspace closer to you.
You can find the “Hide Airspace Above” setting in Map Settings > Airspace, and enter altitudes in either feet or flight level (e.g. 18,000 or 180).
If you climb to within 1,000 feet of hidden airspace along your route, ForeFlight will automatically reveal it, helping you stay aware of airspace when you need to be.

Route Line in Profile View
See your planned route in Profile view, complete with climb and descent profiles, TOC and TOD points, and real-time inflight progress.
ForeFlight uses your aircraft’s performance data to create and display climb and descent profiles for the flight, complete with top-of-climb and top-of-descent points that you can reference inflight.
After takeoff, see your aircraft’s current position and altitude in relation to your planned route, augmenting the top-down map view with a helpful side-on perspective.
Profile view is included in ForeFlight Pro plans and above.

3D View, Anywhere
Access 3D View for any location on Earth, not just airports, by tap-holding on the map and tapping the new 3D button in the top right of the Add to Route window.
3D View combines high-resolution terrain and aerial imagery to create a realistic representation of wherever you tapped, and allows you to zoom and rotate the map in three dimensions.
3D View is included in ForeFlight Performance subscription plans.

Filter Flights List by Aircraft
Use the search bar in the top-left of the Flights view to filter the list of planned and filed flights by aircraft tail number, in addition to filtering by departure and destination airports.

More to come,

Josh

KGTU, United States

Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight wrote:

Passenger App
Passenger is a free companion app to ForeFlight Mobile that lets your passengers follow along with the flight and know when they can expect to arrive.

Very nice idea.

Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight wrote:

Enable route sharing in More > Passenger to wirelessly share your current route with any nearby devices running Passenger. If you make changes to the route, ForeFlight will automatically transmit them to Passenger within seconds.

I haven’t seriously tried out ForeFlight yet, but will two ForeFlights running on two devices (the one I use and the one I keep as backup) also synchronise like that? Even if the ForeFlight on the backup is in background, and Passenger is in the foreground?

ELLX

Hi @Lionel,

It is similar, but without being destructive. If you are connected to a wifi or cellular network and you change a route string or enter a new route string, it will synchronize and show in the Recent Routes section without deleting the existing app if both are logged in with your account. If you have both the iPads connected to a wifi device, whether it has a network connection or not, you can use Cockpit Sharing to share a route between iPads using the same login or another account. Video link posted below (older video, but still works the same way)

“Send To” video (skip to ~2:13 for cockpit sharing): https://foreflight.com/support/video-library/watch/?v=tip-of-the-week-send-to&list=flight-planning

Hope that answers your question,

Josh

KGTU, United States

Peter wrote:

Are there official sources for all the missing ones? If not, it’s a tricky situation. One might have to dig through the “Top Secret Farm Strip Guide, 1939 edition”

This is an interesting point, @Peter. I recall it coming up during a comparison of EasyVFR and SkyDemon (sorry for the thread drift), where some Danish airfields were in SD but not EVFR. I asked the EVFR team and they replied that there are a lot of private strips in Denmark that aren’t “published”. Their presence is often known via word of mouth and their specifics and condition are largely unknown ….. The relevant question here for these is at what point should a strip appear in an app? There is a lot of difference between planning to stop at a strip during a trip and using it in an emergency (because it’s on the map), and how to present/distinguish between the difference in usability?

LSZK, Switzerland

I think discovering these places is not the biggest challenge.

For example there was the old Lockyers Guide (now taken over by Pooleys, seemingly) and 1 or 2 others. Not every strip owner was happy to find his strip in there, for various reasons.

The bigger issue is database control. If you find some stuff in one guide and publish that, and another guide gives different numbers for say the runway size, which one do you use? @Peter_Mundy used to run Navbox; he might know.

I once flew to a “1200m” strip (Heywood Farm, near EGTE) and it damn well wasn’t anything like 1200m, and I needed new teeth after getting out of there.

I think the guide and app publishers have to exclude liability, and then you can throw the whole lot in. After all, anybody “doing grass” needs to do extra due diligence. Most of these strips are highly private, for a start.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A couple quick questions, @Josh:

1) Is there a way yet to specify one or more “fly-by” wpts when using the route finder? This is especially of interest when departing a VFR airfield (Z FPL) where there is a preferred nearby IFR wpt that one would like to “force” for joining.
2) Is there a way to “export” the specific logbook entries to an external logbook or in a format that could be imported to one (e.g. Safelog)?

Last Edited by chflyer at 28 Mar 20:20
LSZK, Switzerland

At first sight, all VRPs are accounted for in FF.

Albeit with screen names which don’t resemble their real names, which may be why they don’t transfer to a GTNx50 in a flight plan.

But that’s not as downright dangerous as the absence of glider winch sites and parachute drop zones.

I don’t want to seem unfair to FF. Garmin Pilot was just as bad for the first year or two and I’m sure FF will catch up. It’s just not yet usable for mixed VFR/IFR in Europe.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message