Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Numerous people have been asking for fly-by waypoints for IFR routing. This is essential for e.g. routing around wx. It was one of my earliest inputs. I believe they have it but not in the user interface. Maybe the issue is that the app is the same for the US and Europe, but I have suggested an implementation which is transparent (earlier in this thread, I think).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

chflyer wrote:

A couple quick questions, @Josh:

1) Is there a way yet to specify one or more “fly-by” wpts when using the route finder? This is especially of interest when departing a VFR airfield (Z FPL) where there is a preferred nearby IFR wpt that one would like to “force” for joining.
2) Is there a way to “export” the specific logbook entries to an external logbook or in a format that could be imported to one (e.g. Safelog)?

Hi @Chflyer,

1). Not currently, but it is something that we are working on. I don’t have a date for you yet though.
2). You can export your logbook as a .csv through plan.foreflight.com. Though I am not familiar with importing this to other applications. For support on this, I would suggest contacting [email protected]

Josh

ForeFlight - Head of International Gr...
KGTU, United States

Please add the option to display a scale on the map to quickly judge distances.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Please add the option to display a scale on the map to quickly judge distances.

You already have that. Press two fingers at the same time anywhere on the screen and a ruler overlay appears. Very quick and easy.

Thanks! Did not know that.
A small (hide-able) scale would still be to my liking.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I‘m testing Foreflight now for a while, but the database for VRPs is a complete mess. Actual example: VP082 should be Sierra of EDFM. Make the planning on the map, then send it to flights and you will find this point somewhere in the south of Munich near the Alps. And this is something I have had in the past several times and when synchronising FF wit the Garmin via FS510 it doesn‘t creat a fluent process because you have to correct everything.

EDDS , Germany

I wonder if the issue is that VP082 is world-unique (or perhaps Europe-unique) while “Sierra” cannot be a database item because the southern VRP for any airport is likely to be called Sierra or some such.

It needs an algorithm done such that if the destination is say EDFM then “Sierra” will be one of EDFM’s VRPs. This is a common bug. For example Jepp Flitestar fairly often plots a route to the other side of the world, to a same-name VOR…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@eddsPeter, I agree, and this is one of many reasons why FF in Europe is a “beta” application, not yet fit for purpose, let alone worth paying for.

Garmin Pilot does not have this problem. Type “Brigg” or “NJBRI” into a route from Glenswinton to Buchnall (neither of which are in FF) and GP will route via Brigg VRP so as to avoid Hibaldstow PJE area (also not in FF…). This route uploads flawlessly from GP to a GTN 650 with Connext so as to drive a GPSS autopilot.

I hope that FF for Europe will make up ground in a year or so, but for now it is barely a runner at the back of the field.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I just installed FF again as my last subscription with them expired in 2012 and had not looked at FF again since then. I was in the south of France this last weekend and did my MEP/IR prof-check there flying from/to Saint-Tropez La Mole, Cannes-Mandelieu and Marseille for the procedures. In the evening I had a beer with some local pilots, instructors/examiners and they were “swearing” by FF for their IFR flights and used SkyDemon only for VFR flights. It was the declutter and clarity on the map, the ease of seeing the different route options (flight levels) when flight routes were presented in FF. So … I downloaded FF again and started playing with it. I just can’t see yet how it can be so much better than SD. SD has a declutter function for airspace above/below you. Can anybody help me out what I am missing out on without FF and why these pilots are so enthusiastic about it? Maybe I should try it out again.

EDLE, Netherlands

@AeroPlus, I would expect that the integration of jeppesen georeferenced plates in ForeFlight being of a real added value. With SD and Jeppesen FliteDeck, you need to switch between the 2 during the enroute/approach part. Well, I did some approaches 3 weeks ago and used SD for the enroute and FliteDeck for the approach part . Switching was pretty easy on the ipad.

Belgium
Sign in to add your message