Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

@JasonC wrote:

Satcom Direct is a competitor to ARINC. They do D-ATIS in Europe.

I guess in this case it’s a question of cost then because I can’t see another reason. I’m surprised then that their reason for being unable to implement it is technical and not financial.

Last Edited by Laracrucuas at 13 Oct 19:38
EDFE, Germany

Hi @Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight,

as discussed above, I wanted to ask you if not including D-ATIS and PDC in Europe is really a technical or managerial discussion? Reason is that I wanted to contact EASA about implementing this, should the former be the case but I just wanted to double check which one is true.

EDFE, Germany

Laracrucuas wrote:

as discussed above, I wanted to ask you if not including D-ATIS and PDC in Europe is really a technical or managerial discussion? Reason is that I wanted to contact EASA about implementing this, should the former be the case but I just wanted to double check which one is true.

PDC doesn’t exist in Europe. CPDLC clearances are here but are completely different from US PDC.

A datalink clearance is possible in Europe over ACARS but unlike the US it is directly sent from ATC to the pilot. In the US PDC is routed via a service provider like FF so it can work via the app etc.

Last Edited by JasonC at 13 Oct 20:20
EGTK Oxford

Laracrucuas wrote:

Hi Laracrucuas,

I’m not familiar with the inner workings of D-ATIS, however, I see if I can get more information. If the sources are different, then we will have to do some investigation. If you do hear anything from EASA, feel free to pass it along and we can go from there.

As Jason mentioned in the last post regarding CPDLC: without a service provider, currently, that seems like it would make this a bit difficult, however, this is not to say we wouldn’t be interested in doing something of the sort if we could find a way. I’ll have a chat with our flight planning team to see what else I can find out.

Hope that helps,

Josh

FF Director of Product - International
KGTU, United States

Hey Josh,
With route constraints now in FF Dispatch, when will the options make it into the private plans, and at what tier?

ESMK, Sweden

Hi, @Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight and @JasonC,

so, I asked the EASA forum about a PDC and the consensus is that the missing service provider will probably make it impossible. But I will try to get an official statement since EASA is currently planning their GA Roadmap 2.0 and could maybe add this as a topic.

Regarding D-ATIS, the suggested approach was to simply contact the providers and see if you can reach the same agreement as with Satcom Direct. I, unfortunately, do not have such a list but I’d assume that you could contact the companies in charge of air traffic control, like DFS or NATS Services to find out more.

EDFE, Germany

Arne wrote:

Hey Josh,
With route constraints now in FF Dispatch, when will the options make it into the private plans, and at what tier?

Hi @Arne,

I don’t have a timeline yet to share on when constraints will be added or if they will be tier specific, but we are are working on them for use in the app.

Stay tuned!

Josh

KGTU, United States

Laracrucuas wrote:

Regarding D-ATIS, the suggested approach was to simply contact the providers and see if you can reach the same agreement as with Satcom Direct. I, unfortunately, do not have such a list but I’d assume that you could contact the companies in charge of air traffic control, like DFS or NATS Services to find out more.

Hi @Laracrucuas,

I appreciate the information you provided. We will do some more looking into this!

Josh

KGTU, United States

I’ve only just spotted this. This “constraints” thing is the feature which every European IFR pilot has been waiting for.

It seems to exist in FF Dispatch but that isn’t the tablet app. It is a PC (web) app. How much is the annual subscription?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I’ve only just spotted this. This “constraints” thing is the feature which every European IFR pilot has been waiting for.

I told you we were working on it ;) I don’t have anything to share currently on timeline like I mentioned for inclusion in the app, but more to come soon.

Josh

KGTU, United States
Sign in to add your message