Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Hi @Laracrucuas,

On RAIM in Europe: I did forward the request to the correct team, but I don’t have a timeline for you.

Josh

FF Director of Product - International
KGTU, United States

Hi @Jacko,

Thanks for the message. A couple of responses for you:

• On airports that are missing: We are currently on working through a solution for adding airports that do not have an associated code. Once we solve this we should have airports like Falgunzeon and Bedlands Gate.
  • We are looking at duplicated airfields as well. I checked this morning and found that it looks like EGZF was removed in favor of EG37 which we are receiving from Jeppesen VFR data. I can’t seem to find a reference to the EGZF ICAO code being active still.
  • I checked your report of EGH9 VP220 EGBE as well and when sending it to flights, it now shows both 185nm on the map and the flights views.
  • We are currently working on resolving the issue with visual reporting points as well to make it easier to route with those so expect more updates on that soon.

One potential struggle we will keep looking into is the interface between ForeFlight and Garmin Avionics when it comes to airports and VRPs without standardized codes. For instance, Kirkbride is shown in Garmin as KIR3 instead of EG37 or EGZF which could cause issues during data transfer. The same goes for VRPs which have no standard coding for routing. We will work to get this corrected, but I just wanted to share some background.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions,

Josh

KGTU, United States

Hi @Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight,

ok, thank you for the update.

Short question, because it is slightly related to the transfer between Garmin Avionics and ForeFlight: When entering a custom waypoint in the Garmin in my aircraft, it transfers the letters to ForeFligth, not the associated coordinates. This is a problem, when ForeFligth doesn’t know that waypoint or associates it with a different custom waypoint. I’m not sure if you can fix that because it seems like this is a problem with Garmin but I just wanted to bring it to your attention.

Thanks!

EDFE, Germany

VRPs are very difficult and I don’t think anybody should use them as waypoints.

They are used by ATC to send VFR traffic to known points, sometimes unfairly so when the VRPs are recognisable only by locals. Many previous threads here on VRPs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Laracrucuas wrote:

Hi @Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight,

ok, thank you for the update.

Short question, because it is slightly related to the transfer between Garmin Avionics and ForeFlight: When entering a custom waypoint in the Garmin in my aircraft, it transfers the letters to ForeFligth, not the associated coordinates. This is a problem, when ForeFligth doesn’t know that waypoint or associates it with a different custom waypoint. I’m not sure if you can fix that because it seems like this is a problem with Garmin but I just wanted to bring it to your attention.

Thanks!

Hi Laracrucuas,

That is strange behavior. We just ran some tests here and it seems to be working in our test lab. If you would, send an email to [email protected] and we can try to get to the bottom of it. There are some diagnostics we can turn on that will provide us with more information.

Thanks,
Josh

KGTU, United States

Hi Josh,

Thanks for those answers.

I suspect that the folks at Garmin don’t yet see it as being in their interest to help competitors to be compatible with their market-dominant ecosystem. Until that changes, I reckon I’m stuck with Garmin Pilot.

Garmin is a bit like Apple. All their (reassuringly expensive) products work well together but if we want to use features like ”connext” or “airdrop”, there’s no point in buying an alien app or device.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

@Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight,

sure, will do!

Thanks

EDFE, Germany

@Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight

Foreflight just updated on my ipad and I think there is a bug, I downloaded/updated all the latest charts and data and now it says my Jeppesen Chart cylce is expired or when selecting an airport the Jeppesen chart section is blank, only eurocontrol charts are there.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I do hope this problem hasn’t raised its head again. This happened to me previously this year, just before departing on a trip, and it really messed me up. It took several days to get it fixed, a huge issue when one is travelling.

At the time I only had a Jeppesen subscription for Europe, and it was one of the reasons I added FF Europe region to my coverage just to ensure that Eurocontrol charts provided a backup.

Last Edited by chflyer at 21 Nov 10:25
LSZK, Switzerland

Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight wrote:

That is strange behavior. We just ran some tests here and it seems to be working in our test lab. If you would, send an email to [email protected] and we can try to get to the bottom of it. There are some diagnostics we can turn on that will provide us with more information.

Hi Josh,

I contacted the support but they told me that this is a normal behaviour, is that correct?

Last Edited by Laracrucuas at 21 Nov 11:45
EDFE, Germany
Sign in to add your message