Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Laser pointers

UK CAA head calls for laser pointer ban…

Here: http://ukga.com/news/view?contentId=38708

Andreas IOM

This is a little bit over the top I think: “anyone found carrying a laser pointer can be arrested”. Sometimes I give public talks at our astronomical observatory and carry a laser pointer in my briefcase. Must I be afraid of going to jail now?

When this laser pointer madness started a few years ago, I wanted to know my level of danger and did my own experiment. I asked a colleague to shine my strongest green laserpointer (5mW, I know there are stronger ones but I don’t want one of those at home) directly at me from 10m away whilst sitting in the cockpit. All I saw was some green flickering because he was unable to “hit” me directly for more than a few milliseconds. The slightest movement already diverts the beam enough to miss the eyes. From 1000ft away (which is the closest an evildoer will get to an approaching or departing aircraft) it must be almost impossible to “score a direct hit” into a pilot’s eye considering the relative motion in excess of 100kt. I made some photos and in this one, the laser beam hit the camera lens and adjusted the brightness accordingly. One can still read the screens.

I had one event when I was really targeted by a laser pointer on a night approach to my homebase whilst still 2000ft AGL (5MN from touchdown). Apart from some brief flickering there was no effect at all. The beam came from a very low position through the side window against the cockpit ceiling. As preceding aircraft had already reported the laser, we looked for it and could estimate it’s position on the ground to withing a few hundred metres. ATC informed the police but I didn’t hear anything again nor was I called as a witness.

Last Edited by what_next at 02 Sep 13:56
EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

This is a little bit over the top I think: “anyone found carrying a laser pointer can be arrested”.

Well… Green laser pointers are illegal in Sweden unless you have a permit.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Well… Green laser pointers are illegal in Sweden unless you have a permit.

Really? We have “laser classes” here. Class 1 which is typically around 1mW is unregulated, independent of the color/wavelength.

EDDS - Stuttgart

You’re right. I mixed things up. Classes 1 and 2 are unregulated. But I’ve never seen a green unregulated pointer so they seem to be unusual.

This was a bit funny.

The link here (in Norwegian)

On the way back from Oslo to Arendal the Air Ambulance helicopter got a laser light into the cockpit above ENSN. The pilot then flew against the direction of the light and descended. Then the light lit up the cockpit again, so close they could see the exact house it came from. The pilot then hoovered a few meters above the house and also contacted the police. The police happened to be in the area and came immediately. They entered the house and found a 12 year old with a laser pen.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

The link here (in Norwegian)

As usual you lose your trust in humanity by reading the comments section…

Airborne_Again wrote:

As usual you lose your trust in humanity by reading the comments section…

I haven’t read them (yet), my trust still remains

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Can this possibly work?

Maybe they can make a coating, or a material, which acts as a notch filter for the specific wavelengths used?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, interference-based optical notch filters do exist, and peak suppression can be made be as high as 60 dB.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 16 Apr 09:42
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message