Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Headsets (merged)

A (very generous) friend gave me these Phonaks. You have to get an audiologist to make a mould of your ear but after two flights getting used to them I find them incredibly comfy- simply forget I’m wearing them – the quality is so good that I can often hear background noise in the ATC office (like keyboards tapping or people whispering). I wear them for hours in a day very comfortably. Plus you can wear a peaked cap without hassle.

Noise cancelling is comparable to my old light speed zulus which I was also very happy with, though they made my glasses dig into my scalp after a while. No complaints about audio or clamping though.

Last thing about the phonaks – the tiny size means I don’t need a big flight bag. They pack into that little wallet you see in the picture.

Transair, among others, supply them.

TB20 IR(R) 600hrs
EGKA Shoreham, United Kingdom

What NealCS said. I wouldn’t change my Phonacs for any other headset.

The A20 is the most uncomfortable headset on my head in this price class. You have to test all headsets on your head. All claims of “most comfortable headsets” are nonsense alltogether because they are highly subjective. With the Phonak you’ll get custom ear pieces and that makes it hard to compare. I like it though.

Last Edited by mh at 08 Oct 12:14
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

172driver wrote:

I think the over-ear / in-ear issue really comes down to personal preferences. Personally, I don’t like in-ear headphones, not even for music …

Same with me. Seeing the pictures here of those in-ear headsets is sufficient to turn my stomach… (and myself I clean my ears with a Q-Tip every day – I know one shoudn’t do that but I simply have to – and still I wouln’t stick a headset into them). Absolutely not. Nothing into my ears and also no canula into my nose. I rather fly with the most uncomfortable oxygen mask – and I know what that means becaues I’ve done it for many many hours.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Another vote for the BOSE A20. Had Aviation X before, larger difference that I would imagine. A bit like buying a Mac instead of the PC. A bit more expensive, maybe not the best spec on paper, but have a nice feeling to it, you know what you get and they have a good resale value. Think carefully about the size, some alternatives are quite bulky. A lot of money though…..but who said flying is cheap…? ;-)

Good advice to try them on in actual flight, but difficult to do in reality. Second best alternative maybe to visit a fair and try there.

Don’t have any PIREP on service, mine’s are just working…

ESOW, Sweden

Having damaged at least 3 headsets by running the cord over with the seat tracks, I now seriously consider Lightspeed Tango (wireless!)
Anyone with that experience? (Tango, not running over cords)

For the last 4 years or so I have altered btn Lightspeed Zulu (best sound) and an old Bose X (least clamping force) and am reasonably satisfied with both.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

The Tango is heavier and you have two batteries to think about but as you say, no cables.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Would you Guys still recommand a Sennheiser HME110? they are still on Stock at some Pilotshops for around 330€ – they seem to be pretty good for the money and as i understand Sennheiser will support the Product when within the Warrenty. At the moment i am using a 180€ “Aerostar” headset since started my PPL 2 years ago, but they start to feel uncomfy after a hour (well at least on my head) and its probably time to upgrade.

Thanks,
Matt

Austria

NealCS wrote:

A (very generous) friend gave me these Phonaks. You have to get an audiologist to make a mould of your ear but after two flights getting used to them I find them incredibly comfy- simply forget I’m wearing them – the quality is so good that I can often hear background noise in the ATC office (like keyboards tapping or people whispering). I wear them for hours in a day very comfortably. Plus you can wear a peaked cap without hassle.
Noise cancelling is comparable to my old light speed zulus which I was also very happy with, though they made my glasses dig into my scalp after a while. No complaints about audio or clamping though.
Last thing about the phonaks – the tiny size means I don’t need a big flight bag. They pack into that little wallet you see in the picture.

This is true for me as well. I absolutely love my Phonaks.
The only thing I would change is the default setting of the microfons on the earpods being set to “on” rather than “off”. I mostly fly piston engine aircrafts and would like to keep the noise out. Sometimes I forget to push the button to turn off the mics and after an hour or two I realize that I could have had an even better noise reduction.
The comfort is absolutely amazing. Can’t imagine ever going back to clamping my head with those huge headsets.

Austria

Welcome to EuroGA @ASW22

How much did you pay for the custom made inserts?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

First step is to get an imprint taken of one’s ears. Such imprint can be produced by pretty much every shop selling hearing aid devices by an audiology technician. Cost in Germany is around EUR 20 or sometimes just a donation / small tip. Phonak provides a little manual with illustrations to make the technician aware of some special requirements for the imprint. The imprints are then being sent by the dealer who sold the headset to Phonak in Switzerland where the individual inserts are being produced. Turnaround time is ca. 4 weeks, the cost for the first inserts is included in the price of the headset.

If one needs additional inserts based on existing imprints at Phonak, e.g. the previously produced individual inserts need replacing for whatever reason, the cost is EUR 60 for the pair. If new individual inserts need to be produced, e.g. the headset has been sold on and the new owner needs to order a new set of inserts fitting him, that would be EUR 120 for the pair.

BTW, I very much like my Phonak and would not like to go back to any over-the-ear headsets. We just went through the process of ordering an additional set of individual inserts for my wife so she could try the Phonak as well. The trials were successful, I guess. She put a Phonak headset on her christmas wishlist.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria
Sign in to add your message