Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pilots you knew who are no longer with us, and what did you learn from the reports?

I never have my biennial “hour with an Instructor” in my Syndicate aircraft.
I’ve always had a checkout in the school aircraft they’re familiar with.
It would be different if I had a share in a Pa28/38 or C150/152/172.
But I don’t fancy being P U/T in an aircraft type the P1 Instructor is not familiar with. (My aircraft are Jodel DR1050 and Bolkow Junior 208C.)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I think part (perhaps a big part) of this is the type of operation where this experience is gained. I am having this conversation with some airline pilots who recently joined our club here – all, without exception, say they need quite a bit of training to become comfortable again in a GA / SEP context of flying. Mind you, these are guys with up to 20k hours in anything from 737s to A380s.

Maoraigh wrote:

But I don’t fancy being P U/T in an aircraft type the P1 Instructor is not familiar with. (My aircraft are Jodel DR1050 and Bolkow Junior 208C.)

For certified SEP types, it not an issue as long as long as they follow POH to the letter (but usually you learn far better from private owner who are more familiar and current on their type than an instructor),

On some LAA vintage types (Nord NC.850 ), good luck finding a school QFIs who fly them or even the book
Actually, the same could be said about getting checked on non-school fleet: Beech, Socata, Mooney…

Say I flew 2000h on C172, can I go and fly a microlight/motor-glider? Sure
Probably, not engine-off at 1000ft or 30kts crosswinds between the trees…

Specifically, TMG is different class than SEP and it is very tough to find the right guy who can teach both power/gliding and know the type very well, also some are tailwheel/complex/glider and fly near all weather/terrain (e.g. hot days, short airstrips, valleys, hill ridges, mountain waves, icing/convective clouds…), all this with no “difference training” or “ratings” other than just TMG, so one has to approach with lot of extra care !

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Feb 23:46
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I’ve just found out, with much sadness, that Peter Chilcott, known here as “Fuji_Abound”, died in June after a short illness (not coronavirus).

Peter flew out of Shoreham and flew many types; owned a Fuji and flew the DA42, SR22, the Aztec, and much else. I flew with him a number of times. He was always around to help anyone who needed it, notably with financial advice (he was a high-end accountant). Around 2008 when Brussels threatened to terminate the IMC Rating “unless every other EU country was going to adopt it” (an obviously disingenuous statement) and no UK pilot “organisation” was interested in supporting it, he organised and ran a campaign to raise awareness of it all over the place, which was ultimately successful in ensuring its uninterrupted availability until the matter was finally kicked into the long grass with brexit.

More recently, Peter fought battles all over UK GA social media with the “usual establishment types” over the crazy new UK CAA no-prisoners infringements policy. The most amusing bit was where a CAA guy joined up EuroGA, to beat up a few people while pretending to be a sailor living in the Channel Islands, who instantly vanished the moment Peter (who was a keen sailor) asked him about anchorage near Sark

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I’ve just found out, with much sadness, that Peter Chilcott, known here as “IMCR”, died in June after a short illness (not coronavirus).

That’s very sad to hear. I always enjoyed IMCR’s contributions. May he rest in peace.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Very sad news. A great contributor.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

A great contributor.

I can’t find any of his posts. A search for posts by author “IMCR” returns nothing.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I made a mistake in my post above; his nickname was wrong. It was Fuji_Abound.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, he was known as IMCr on another site.

EGLM & EGTN

Peter wrote:

I made a mistake in my post above; his nickname was wrong. It was Fuji_Abound.

Oh no! Always enjoyed his posts. RIP.

Sign in to add your message