Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"Random Check" at Ostend, EBOS

It sounds to me more like “intelligence” rather than a suspission from some pattern.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

lenthamen wrote:

My guess is that there was something in your flying profile that have triggered authorities.

Or somebody else – the real smuggler – wanted to create a diversion by attracting the authority’s attention to the aircraft parked next to his. One phone call is enough to do that…

EDDS - Stuttgart

Highflyer – do you by any chance run a pilot forum?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Being “EBOS” local, I want to emphasize that this was not “random” at all. I cannot recall any previous action like this.

The best thing in such situation, like mentioned already in this thread; sit back and let them do what they were instructed to do. The pitty is, that this resulted in a lot of time loss, and frustration for you.
In this case, as apparently nothing found illegal, an apology was the least they could do.

A pitty, there are always people, and will be, that think they can take advantage by doing illegal stuff , and by so, spoil the fun for the rest of us all. (being it flying, sailing, etc)

I can forward your experience to the management, if you want (just send me pm or so)
Apron 3 has just been resurfaced, and they’re working on more GA friendly facilities, so everybody wellcome, (see my next post)

Regards,
Wim

Wim
EBOS, Belgium

Wim wrote:

I can forward your experience to the management, if you want

Yes this would be a good idea. I have already noticed the German Embassy in Brussels. They recommend to ask the police at EBOS direct via mail. I have sent them a mail today and are waiting for a reply, but as I mentioned before, they keep it secret what is unfair.

Berlin, Germany

You’re entitled to some explanation I suppose. I will handover your comment as mentioned in your first post, you can send me your private mail if you want by PM.

BTW don’t mis interprete my sentence “not random at all” : should be read as “no standard practice at all”

Best regards,

Last Edited by Wim at 11 Oct 17:26
Wim
EBOS, Belgium

There is an interesting debate in FAA land about the right to search an aircraft. It seems unlikely the right exists in law without a warrant, anymore than the right to search you’re house or boat. The process of law often requires checks and balances, the need to demonstrate justified cause before entry. I therefore think you are entitled to an explanation BEFORE, not after the EVENT, and I also think you are entitled to be thanked for your time and an apology for the inconvenience caused if nothing is found amiss. If not we may as well allow our phones to be tapped, houses to be entered, cars to be stopped and searched as seen fit, without any check or balance. We know where that can lead.

In the UK do the police have the right to search an aircraft without a warrant – I dont know – I guess they do?

FWIW the rules are very clear in the UK on their rights to stop and search your motor vehicle, and the police need to explain their grounds for the search, what they expect to find, produce their warrant cards and identify themselves. They must also provide you with a copy of their search record. Again I would argue these are important safeguards that are no more or less appropriate to any situation involving the public where there are not special grounds to believe terrorist activities are involved.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 11 Oct 19:30

there’s some point here. As with commercial aircraft, foreign aircraft are considered as foreign territory ? Or does this not apply to light aircraft?

Wim
EBOS, Belgium

Wim wrote:

As with commercial aircraft, foreign aircraft are considered as foreign territory ? Or does this not apply to light aircraft?

Theoretically yes. But there are international agreements, at least within the EU. It’s the same with SAFA inspections. If you deny him access to your plane, he will deny you permission to take off from his airfield. Your choice.

None of us here made the world the way it is. If you want to improve the situation, go to Syria and fight ISIS to their last man. Fighting security people does not help. It will only create an even more hostile environment between them and us. Totally useless and harmful for all of us, especially those (like myself) who have to earn their living in this environment.

EDDS - Stuttgart

highflyer wrote:

I am the owner. But this was not of interest. They didn`t look at the aircraft documents.

I meant it in the sense of “are there other people flying that plane”, in which case it could have been the behaviour of another flyier that triggered some suspicion but you got to be inspected.

Sign in to add your message