Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New aircraft tracking sites

There always tend to be some artifacts in FR24 particularly when not broadcasting ADS-B.

EGTK Oxford

I squit ADS-B.

EGKB Biggin Hill
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This site is quite reliable at times but quite unreliable at other times e.g. showing this “speed of light” trip over to Amsterdam

I suspect they have few participating receivers, and some of them are turned off most of the time.

Administrator

Here is another one. I can’t find where you look up a particular aircraft’s flights though – unless you have to pay to get that to work.

Administrator

Nice but difficult to compare with:

Does anybody know the current legal status of such portals in light of EU GDPR? Do they filter to only public transport flights, as general aviation aircraft have to be treated as sensible personal data?

update Ok, just checked myself. They are on the illegal road. Who is going to sue them?

Last Edited by at 11 Dec 12:17

dejwu wrote:

…as general aviation aircraft have to be treated as sensible personal data?
Only if you can connect the flights with specific persons, I guess?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

dejwu wrote:

They are on the illegal road. Who is going to sue them?

I don’t think it is personal data, you only get aircraft ID and accurate position data (which is another bigger requirement from EU/EC for air transport safety & surveillance than EU/EC GDPR for cyber privacy)

But if you win that legal battle with website, I may try to claim some money from Saxon Air handlers in Norwich airport (they show GA aircraft reg on departure/arrival dashboard in passengers terminal )

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Dec 13:45
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I am waiting for the first ambulance chaser to arm the legal shotgun against these sites … a lot of money in that business. One of the basic settings in GDPR is, whenever you cannot be sure data is not from an individual, it has to be treated as sensible such. The registration of a lot of general aircraft is bound to one person, the owner pilot, which may, by registration and insurance, be the only one flying the aircraft – which renders the registration a sensible personal data. Our local field advocate even mentioned one in bad mood could stretch it to crime of profiling and publishing health movement data, as the pilot has to have a valid medical data. Yes, as long as nobody goes to court, it may be running under radar, but if, it may be quite uncomfortable for the ones in front of the judge. Always keep in mind, according to GDPR one example of an aircraft registered to an individual and solely flown – i.e. mine is – is enough to arm the law (and yes, FR24 is of same opinion and my aircraft is blocked from showing on their site for a long time).

Last Edited by at 11 Dec 16:16
Sign in to add your message