Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

D-ESPJ TB20 crash near Annecy, France, 25/11/2016

very sad indeed

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

There are some SV products but who would be flying in the Alps in IMC (that’s the implication) while looking at an Ipad to avoid the rocks?

Albertville is VFR-only so you have the same issue getting in there as with e.g. Locarno, Samedan, etc. You need VMC all the way to cruise level, or at least to the point where you cancel IFR. And you don’t cancel IFR if you are in IMC.

Or you canyon-fly, possibly below any cloud, all the way from outside the Alps, to the destination. That is how most VFR pilots do it. IFR pilots tend to arrive overhead, cancel IFR, and descend into the canyon.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m shocked … Stefan was dear friend and fellow aviator. We met last time few weeks ago in Zagreb, talking about his runway lights measuring job, aviation, flying Citation, upgrading from TB20 to TB21 … sad, really sad :’(

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I talked to him on Thursday and last message was “departing to France tomorrow at 11:00”. I refused to believe when I heard the news but unfortunately I knew the registration and his plans …

Last Edited by Emir at 28 Nov 09:24
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

@ Peter – canyon-flying is very dangerous too because of the cables that cross the valleys. In 1985/86 when I did my Courchevel familiarization I was told by locals to never fly below 4000ft from Albertville to Courchevel – and who updates the cable data? Do they manage that with SV?

EDxx, Germany

This one certainly hits close to home: this is the first fatal accident involving an acquaintance since I started flying. Just last week I was planning (but haven’t yet executed) a very similar flight to Albertville.

I only knew Stefan in passing but he was a nice person with a real passion for aviation. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

I make a point of not speculating publicly on the causes of accidents, it is simply too emotive and in many cases entirely unconstructive.

EGEO

Very sad, I am really sorry to hear that.

Jean
EBST, Belgium

I assume he had oxygen available? My impression is that some places en route were VRF and others IFR. Does anyone have more info on weather conditions?

Regarding speculation, if this ever happens to me, I give you all permission to discuss me as much as you want. Anything that reduces the chances of it happening to you. I think it’s appropriate to discuss these accidents (even if the speculation turns out to be wrong) while the shock is still fresh because there are always lessons.

My condolences to the people close to him.

Tököl LHTL

Howard wrote:

I do worry that many of us (me absolutely included) don’t properly consider the risks of flying a small plane, even when one of us dies in a tragic crash like this. We all imagine that it won’t be us next….

Very true. And even if we did know “all” the risks, there is always a chance some new and unknown detail pops up and make things difficult, even disastrous. Margins is a key word here, margins for known risks and for the unknown. Mountain flying is high risk all by itself, mostly because the margins are constantly changing variables and hard to predict and react to.

My condolences to friends and family.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message