Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

D-ESPJ TB20 crash near Annecy, France, 25/11/2016

I don’t know if any German pilots will recognise this, but Stefan had some German (nationally produced) maps which had a PC-based display app. A few years ago he sent me some, with the app. I had a quick look but they were of no use to me since I already had the Jepp VFR ones converted to Ozi format. The quality was great but it was basically just Germany. Does anyone recognise this product and if so is there an Ipad version, and would that lead to any French coverage?

However I do know he had an Ipad with ANP. Whether he used it I have no idea.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

OK; that map is really completely useless for flying over terrain in IMC…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Even in VMC. A chart of the mountains with no elevation figures? But I seriously doubt that an experienced person like the accident pilot would have flown with that. No way.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Peter wrote:

To put it very mildly. What kind of crap map is that? I cannot imagine anyone using this….

I knew Stefan. He bought the aircraft from me. I bought that aircraft new to my specification. I loved that bird, we had so many happy hours. It was registered M GINZ. We flew the Ginz regularly to ALC from EGNS or EGNH.

Last Edited by Ginz at 18 Dec 08:33

I contacted the French policeman who is running this investigation (his name googles to a lot of aircraft accidents) and told him about the 6500 SIA chart hypothesis and he said he will pass this to the BEA. FWIW… I am very sure Stefan had to have a very good reason to descend to 6500ft, because he knew what the Alps were (they are mountains!) and while he didn’t fly to France often he did fly around the Alps a lot in the bizjets, and in his TB20 to e.g. Zell am See.

Administrator

Has the official report been published yet ?

Not AFAIK. On past record (e.g. N2915B) the BEA can take 2 years or more.

Administrator

The report has been released today.

Official report (in french) : https://www.bea.aero/uploads/tx_elydbrapports/BEA2016-0740_.pdf

Online, automatic and free english translation of the official report here.
Conclusions are more or less the following :
They had a meeting with an instructor at Albertville, and wanted to be there before 3pm. Sadly, they tookoff late on schedule due to having to wait for the O2 bottle delivery.
The instructor adviced a specific routing from Chambery in case of bad weather.
Being late, they decided to take a more direct routing from Chambery, but due to the bad meteorological conditions, they ended up IMC in mountainous area.

LFBZ, France
Sign in to add your message