Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Eurocrats Opinion released DRAFT (what became CB IR)

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

After a quick review it looks like the UK IMCR is dead and will not be granted grandfather rights (other than for Annex II aircraft)....ref 2.4.2.4

Also English proficiency is not required for the IR....ref 2.4.2.3

Good news is that the third party conversion route requires 50hrs PIC under the IFR (in IMC or VMC)...ref 2.4.2.2 and 2.4.2.9

Also good news that training hours outside an ATO are recognized....BUT bad news is they need to be agreed by an ATO first....clear conflict of interest

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I've just had a skim read.

Good news that the EIR and CB IR and the reduced theoretical knowledge have been officially stated.

Bad news for UK IMCr pilots who wished to use their IMCr approach rights with the extended EIR en route parts. Its not a major issue for me, as the nearest airport with a published approach is Cambridge (some 30 miles away), and I guess in an 'emergency' I'd ask to follow an ILS down anyhow rather than compromise my own safety though whether that will be tested in courts with a view to later prosecution - who knows.

However, they talk about a "5 year adjustment period". I wonder (though I doubt) if this means that the IMCr can be used for up to 5 years before which time one has hopefully gained a full IR. Or am I using too much wishful thinking here?

Maybe I was too quick to pronounce the IMCR dead....presumably the IR(R) is not actually viewed as a "National Rating"...even if it is restricted to UK airspace....

But despite the seemingly good news for anyone wishing to gain an EASA IR (or CB IR), it looks like it is still better to get an FAA IR, reach the 50hrs PIC under the IFR, and convert it....especially for those UK IMC rated pilots with IFR time which will be recognized by the FAA

Anthony Q - my thoughts exactly. It would appear that this be the only way around this. I have dual papers, FAA/UK PPL A, with an IMCr, night and multi. I was hanging around a bit to see which way to jump, but it would definItely look like I have to get my skates on, go asap for the FAA IR, I already have the required 50 hours, therefore, if required, it would be a conversion.

You have got to hand it to these guys though, like it or not, that was a cleverly construed, with a large amount of legal assistance, document, Leaves not a great amount of wiggle room.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

negative on that

your 50 hours will only start counting after you actually get your faa ir .. unless the uk caa is willing to accept your hours .. based on the strange situation of the uk imcr

Yes, I think conversion is the wrong word....the IMCR is not "converted" but the existing hours of IFR are recognized towards the US rating.... But as has been pointed out in previous threads, probably at least 15 hours will be required in the US to achieve the standard required....in any case the last 3 hours must be flown with the CFII who will recommend you for the flight test...but the point is that UK pilots with an IMC rating (which is actually used) will have a huge head start over most ab initio IR candidates

Yes I am hoping at least 15 of my IFR logged hours will count towards one of the full IR's. That said, I could already have 200 but if I am not up to the standard then it might still be a lot of work. I don't have the spare time to be doing an IR this year but I am practicing holds and other instrument procedures to try and buy myself some skills :-)

If you have an IMC rating in the UK and are properly current you should breeze through the FAA IR. It will take some time but you can already fly an approach. That is the hardest part.

EGTK Oxford

To me, 2.4.4.2 specifically provides for the crediting of IMCR time including the training time.

I also can't find the bit saying the 50 hrs IFR have to be post any FAA IR.

The IMCR position does not really change from previous; EASA never officially conceded anything whatsoever.

The FAA IR is likely to be considerably harder than the IMCR - I took 2 weeks of solid flying in Arizona to do mine and I had 500 hrs then.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message