Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does ATC ever have a laugh at what they see on radar?

The non-use of smileys in sarcastic remarks is a hanging offence

I used to do that on the Socata forum and it used to really p1ss off the locals. It still took them years to boot me out and it had to be done under a pretext. One of the things I posted was that I fly 30% over MTOW which is really great because Va goes up by 30% too which is useful. A large % believed me…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Wait, you mean it doesn’t work that way? I read it in the Internet, it surely must be true! ;-)

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Peter wrote:

One of the things I posted was that I fly 30% over MTOW which is really great because Va goes up by 30% too which is useful. A large % believed me…
How stupid people can be. Va will of course only go up by 14%…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Hi,
Have you seen this?
https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/03/watch-a-boeing-787-dreamliner-draw-a-massive-plane-above-the-united-states/

How is it possible?

Is any Boeing 787 captian who can explain this?
It’s amazing :D

[moved to existing thread]

The route was filed as a GPS-point fileplan. FL410 is not that busy, you hardly need to reserve the whole country.

I doubt you could get such a route Eurocontrol validated in Europe. It would have to be done via “friends in the right places” and heavily coordinated – even within one country.

Administrator

Patrick wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/02/plane-pilot-write-hello-radar-tracking-map

The pilot who drew this “Hello” has also done several more, the last one I saw was Happy Christmas or something similar. I recently joined the flying club in EDHS and by coincidence the instructor that checked me out on the A210 was the same pilot who did/does the skywriting. His aircraft (Robin DR400) is currently having its engine overhauled, then I’m sure he’ll be back!

EDLN/EDLF, Germany
Administrator

This appears genuine

How is this done? Can you load a very long route (hundreds of waypoints) into the 747 FMS, by a data transfer?

Administrator

There must have been some very steep turns in this, I guess the guys and gals at the pointy end had great fun!

Sign in to add your message