Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Official vs Unofficial IFR charts

Isn’t the main problem with the Navigraph plate product aimed at simmer that it is only updated every third month? This makes those plates hard to use since you need to double check that the plates are current.

ESTL

Anders wrote:

Isn’t the main problem with the Navigraph plate product aimed at simmer that it is only updated every third month? This makes those plates hard to use since you need to double check that the plates are current.

There must be some “problem” with them, or people would use them for real flight…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Timothy wrote:

I believe, but am not certain, that part of the PBN certification is to use plates from an approved source. Does anyone have access to that bit of legislation?

Nope. Charts are not certified, though some believe they should be. For the CAT operators the operator is responsible for the quality of the chart it uses.

ORO.GEN.205 Contracted activities
(a) The operator shall ensure that when contracting or purchasing any part of its activity, the contracted or purchased service or product conforms to the applicable requirements.

Can you imagine a one-aircraft air taxi company arranging an audit of Jepp?!

But nav database providers, which are currently subject to a Letter of Approval are, as of 1 Jan 2019, to be certified under Part-DAT:

AMC1 NCO.IDE.A.205 Management of aeronautical databases
AERONAUTICAL DATABASES
When the operator of an aircraft uses an aeronautical database that supports an airborne navigation
application as a primary means of navigation used to meet the airspace usage requirements, the
database provider should be a Type 2 DAT provider certified in accordance with Regulation (EU)
2017/373 or equivalent

bookworm wrote:

The operator shall ensure that when contracting or purchasing any part of its activity, the contracted or purchased service or product conforms to the applicable requirements.

I guess that using simmer’s plates marked “Not for Aviation Use” might be thought to fall somewhat short of the ideals set by the word “ensure

bookworm wrote:

Can you imagine a one-aircraft air taxi company arranging an audit of Jepp?!

I guess that my EBAW case in point demonstrates that that operator would be better advised to audit BCAA!

EGKB Biggin Hill

I do have a thought though. If were to club together to pay a company (such as @AeroPlus ?) to employ someone to do a reasonably sensible but non-exhaustive QA process on http://www.navigraph.com/ sufficient to satisfy us that they are adequate, it would save us a fortune on Jepp.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

I guess that using simmer’s plates marked “Not for Aviation Use” might be thought to fall somewhat short of the ideals set by the word “ensure”

Yes, though Part-ORO is not applicable to NCO.

I guess that my EBAW case in point demonstrates that that operator would be better advised to audit BCAA!

Indeed.

26 Posts
Sign in to add your message