Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aerodrome Reference Point (ARP) - where?

DWC, not DXB. DXB’s ARP is on the threshold of RW12R and has been for some time.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Where actually is the definition of ARP? Somewhere with ICAO, I should think?

ICAO, too, is bound to state who decides on it. I expect it to be the aerodrome operator.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

My bad. But then it falls into the same category as Malmø. The ARP is in the middle of the planned set of runways:

“The airport was initially planned to have six runways, but this number was reduced to five 4,500 m (14,800 ft) parallel runways in April 2009, with a large passenger complex in the middle.”

Just one for now,

In France, aerodromes with two non-parallel runways will often have their crossing point as the ARP – Lille Lesquin is one example.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I could find several definitions:

COMMISSION REGULATION (EU) No 1089/2010

‘aerodrome reference point’ means the designated geographical location of an aerodrome, located near the initial or planned geometric centre of the aerodrome and normally remaining where originally established.

ICAO annex 14 vol 1 2.2
2.2 Aerodrome reference point
2.2.1 An aerodrome reference point shall be established for an aerodrome.
2.2.2 The aerodrome reference point shall be located near the initial or planned geometric centre of the aerodrome and shall normally remain where first established.
2.2.3 The position of the aerodrome reference point shall be measured and reported to the aeronautical information services authority in degrees, minutes and seconds.

Jeppesen do not take any risk, their definition is :
AIRPORT REFERENCE POINT (ARP) — A point on the airport designated as the official airport location.

According to https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/150_5300_13.pdf, in the US the ARP is the midpoint of the runway if there is only one runway. Anyway you should always check where the ARP is before using the OBS function.
In the AIP you can find the actual coordinates of each threshold and so you can create a user waypoint if you do want to use the OBS function.

Last Edited by Piotr_Szut at 15 Dec 20:32
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message