Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DME is the future

I suspect Loran might come back as an RNAV backup, but I think that by the time the powers to be think this through, the will to do something about GPS vulnerability disappears - because most aviation would cease immediately in the event of significant military action, anyway.

Allegedly, there is a non-negligible probability of GPS service loss at high latitudes due to auroral activity during the peaks of the solar cycle - this is where Loran would certainly come in handy. US and Canada decommissioned their chains, but Russia, EU and the Middle East still seem to be running them, and there was a drive in the UK towards implementing eLoran, which is Loran plus a very slow data broadcast channel on the same frequency.

By the way, KLN 88 is an IFR Loran unit very similar to KLN 89 GPS. It is frequently available on eBay for $100-200.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Is it a lot easier to jam GPS than to jam the VHF navaids, because of the power.

Does anyone know the effective range of the cheap GPS jammers you can buy on the internet? Even if it's only a few hundred feet, it would only take one truck driving under the final approach of an LPV approach with a jammer running to send someone on a go-around and cause a huge kerfuffle among the powers that be.

EGEO

KLN 88 is an IFR Loran unit very similar to KLN 89 GPS. It is frequently available on eBay for $100-200.

Does it do anything, in Europe?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Does anyone know the effective range of the cheap GPS jammers you can buy on the internet?

Only a few dozen metres (e.g. http://www.thejammerstore.com/gps-jamming-device-gj4000.html). These things are supposed to prevent your mobile phone from being tracked, not much more. Jamming ILS transmissions would be equally simple. The fact, that it hasen't been attempted in 50+ years shows to me that jamming is not a real threat.

EDDS - Stuttgart

But... isn't ILS continuously monitored by receiving equipment?

Also GSM phones are tracked by the GSM signals, triangulated by the towers, not via GPS (though with covert tracking software on the phone you can use the GPS properly for tracking the phone ).

If you want a really non-trackable phone, buy the phone for cash, buy the SIM for cash, and avoid using the phone for calling anybody you know

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Does KLN 88 do anything, in Europe?

Well, I hope it would. I have never had one but may be tempted to get one if/when I finally find enough free time to fly to Iceland and do some local bimbling out there. As far as I remember, the accuracy of Loran is in the order of 0.1 NM.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

What's the issue for DME-DME for GA? Is it just that we often don't get high enough in order to receive the other end, and therefore GPS is the only decent source for accurate flying?

Peter: But... isn't ILS continuously monitored by receiving equipment?

Yes, but the monitors are located close to the antennae. If the jamming device is placed a coulpe of miles away, the monitor will not notice but the aircraft overhead will lose the signal.

What's the issue for DME-DME for GA? Is it just that we often don't get high enough in order to receive the other end, and therefore GPS is the only decent source for accurate flying?

That and cost, most probably. As of now, DME units are produced in fairly low numbers (compared to GPS sensors) and therefore a lot more expensive.

EDDS - Stuttgart
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message