Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Will EASA publish a QB for the CBM IR?

10 Posts

The syllabus (called the "learning objectives") has been published; it is a cut-down version of the JAA IR one, and no new items have been added.

But whether the actual questions will be published is very important for the study workload, because (on my guess, having done the 7-exam JAA IR) the questions are only a few % of the whole syllabus.

EASA have in the past showed an inclination to not publish any more QBs...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The current one hasn't been published either, has it? From what I know it got "leaked" by certain CAAs.

When will the new EASA syllabus be active?

For people that are thinking about doing the IR: Better do it now! All questions of the current exams are in the Question Bank. At least that is how is was for me, in The Netherlands. My worst score was 89% for Meteo. That was because there where just so many questions and it's hard to remember them all... The other scores where 100% (3x) and 97% (3x).

A lot of the stuff in the exams have little use in real life IFR flying. There are questions like: "What will a magnetic compass indicate while accelerating on a western heading in the southern hemisphere?"
During training while hand flying I was sometimes questioned by Schiphol approach "Please confirm you are heading inbound DHR". Checking the GPS I was less then 1 nm off track, and they already got nervous :-)

Well, the compass turning errors are not that irrelevant, especially when you don't have a slaved direction gyro. Instead of learning how it turns, it's easier to get an understanding of how the compass works and then it's all obvious. Same for met but that's not an easy subject to begin with. If there is something I got out of my IR, it's a solid background in meteorology.

What is the timescale for the introduction of the CBM IR? I'm shortly (in the next 6 - 8 weeks) going to join another group which will be the keep up the rear for me to get my IR done but I don't want to have to spend money unnecessarily on doing the "whole" IR if I can save money by doing the CBM IR, albeit I realise the QB is an issue at the moment.

Is it likely to discussed and prevaricated over for years to come? Best guesses and informed ones much appreciated.

thanks.

Well, the compass turning errors are not that irrelevant

A significant part of the Instruments exam is on compass turning errors. In real life it's enough to know that a compass will indicate correctly only when flying straight and level. There are a lot of details that are not really helpful, like what's the carrier frequency of the Outer Marker, how much coffee should a pilot consume, etc.

VMC-on-top: I don't know the timelines for the CBM IR. But my guess is that it will take quite some time before it is implemented. I decided not to wait, but just do the full IR. I finished it in about 6 months. I found the theoretical exams not harder to pass than the PPL exams...

The current one hasn't been published either, has it? From what I know it got "leaked" by certain CAAs.

What I found out is what I wrote here

Originally, the largest UK FTOs compiled their own question banks by assigning each exam cadet 5 questions to remember, and a man from the FTO stood outside the exam room with a notepad and quickly noted down the details before the cadet forgot. Over years, each FTO built up a QB, which they used internally. Some of these FTO QBs (e.g. Bristol or Oxford ATPL ground school) are nowadays circulating around the internet and can be found on P2P and bit-torrent networks. Later, around 2007, two groups of students did a "Freedom of Information" legal challenges in Denmark and Belgium and got the real JAA QB, and later it was translated into English.

The other scores where 100% (3x) and 97% (3x).

That is quite brilliant!

What is the timescale for the introduction of the CBM IR?

I am not aware that anybody knows, but the rumours I hear is that the April 2014 deadline will be either very tight or will be missed, for any kind of implementation by the training machinery.

A significant part of the Instruments exam is on compass turning errors

My guess is that those questions are worth about 5% and I ignored all of them. That is a good policy; in some school exams (e.g. Geography) the study workload for the 1 exam is perhaps 50% of the total of 10 exams so dropping it totally (just turning up and ticking some boxes) is a reasonable policy. Obviously if you actually need Geography then you have to do it properly, but almost no real job actually needs it. Getting a GCSE in English Language is worth far more, especially these days...

My vertical card compass has turning errors which are something very different from the normal compass (even though the cause is the same) and the IRI I flew with was totally baffled by it. The fact that the vertical card compass is infinitely more readable in all other phases of flight is irrelevant

Is it likely to discussed and prevaricated over for years to come?

I am sure it will continue to take up a lot of bandwidth

I don't want to sound cruel (not my style ) but there are two kinds of pilots: those who will do the IR, and those who will just talk about it, for ever.

I think it is a realistic observation, because it is a significant project, especially ab initio, it always will be so (because there are no proposals to reduce the content of the skills test, so your only slight simplification option will be to do it all in say Greece, which involves a large chunk of time away from home, which doesn't suit the vast majority of busy people who have the money to actually do it and use it) and the long term cost of IFR flying, with any kind of reasonable currency, is not exactly going down...

So a lot of people looking at it will never actually do it. The only way I see of changing this situation is to make it doable totally outside the FTO industry (FAA IR style) which isn't going to happen.

With a year's hindsight from when I did it all, I still think doing the JAA IR is the best option if you actually want the capability (which basically means you own a suitable plane and want to fly around Europe IFR). The exams are not the big issue but the need to pack the logbook with 50hrs at an FTO is a big punishment, however.

I am not encouraged by the silence around the CBM IR and the fact that it (or the EIR) has not even made the "smoke filled room" comitology process, where a number of national CAAs are believed to be waiting to kill the whole proposal.

Administrator

Later, around 2007, two groups of students did a "Freedom of Information" legal challenges in Denmark and Belgium and got the real JAA QB, and later it was translated into English.

I was really amazed to see that not only the questions in the actual exam where the same as in the QB, but also the Annexes. Those Annexes were exact copies, not something reproduced from memory...

I saw new questions (with Annexes) being added to the QB early 2013, so there must be an ongoing delivery of new material...

All annexes here. Guess they forgot to disable DirectoryListing :-)

they forgot to disable DirectoryListing

It is hilarious how often that happens

But even where dir listing is disabled (the default setting on www servers) one can still get a lot by trying out different filenames. One example I recall was the download of a huge quantity of installation manuals from the site of a well known avionics manufacturer, but the real 1st prize went to the mug who worked inside the company and whose PC got indexed by google. Somebody in the USA who was quite clever wrote a script which parsed the google listing and downloaded about 30GB of manuals. Nothing top secret because all of it is available to any dealer of that company, but still very useful.

Regarding Met, I have mixed views on this.

Obviously Met is hugely important to flying because basically the weather aspect of the go/no-go decision is made by relating the weather to the aircraft equipment (TKS, radar, etc) and performance.

But I think Met is very poorly taught.

It's "fun" to teach what kind of weather one can expect to find before or after a certain type of front, but there is no apparent way to obtain the data from the usual internet sources to fill in the picture in reality. I have never met anybody (online or personally) who was able (or willing) to counter this assertion, and I do know some people who are experts on Met.

I even went on an "aviation weather" course run by an ex UK met office forecaster. At the end of the way I was not at all wiser when it came to applying any of it to the go/no-go decision.

I think that, currently, if you use a GFS 3D profile site like this then that will totally beat any Met understanding from the JAA IR theory, when it comes to practical value.

I think the reason the theory training industry gets away with teaching such rubbish is because nearly all the students go on to fly jets, and a jet with total anti-ice, radar, a 5000fpm+ climb rate, a ~FL390 ceiling, and Cat3, will fly 99.99% of the time anyway. They do need to know some wx stuff but the conditions which are hazardous to us do not apply to them. The one exception is probably solid fog... they can land but can't (in most places) taxi afterwards. Also you spend many hours in the RHS, with an experienced training captain in the LHS, so the screw-up potential is very small.

If one was training IFR GA people, the syllabus would be totally different.

Administrator

Hello lenthamen, I do disagree that the IFR theory is alike the PPL. I have passed PPL theory in april 2012 after 5 months of learning (2 hours a day) with average 98% and it took me 32 minutes to answer the questions in the exams. I have passed IFR theory 3 weeks ago after 5 months of learning (3 hours a day) with 97% average and it took 1 hour and 40 minutes. So to reach the same result I needed 33% more time for learning and the exam took longer aswell. In the PPL exam actually ALL questions were identical to the ones in the Question databank, so it was very easy/quick to recognise them and click them. In the IFR exam about 80% of the questions were identical and the others had different numbers/flighlevels/maths, etc and there were also some questions I have never seen/read before. (In regards to the database of CAT and other online ones). Several of the other students who were with me failed in some of the subjects because they were gambling on reaching 75%. I fully agree with you that most has little value, but we only know that afterwards anyway. Although I agree with Peter that the extensive topic Met does not prepare me thoroughly for flightplanning I believe I have learned a lot which gives me a wider horizont on the weather than before. Yours Detlev

EDHE
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message