Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Wingly flight sharing site (merged)

The majority of people I know who seat share are doing it primarily for cost sharing.

So the various “seat sharing” websites were really about cost sharing, but could not call it that.

With EASA’s liberalisation of cost sharing advertising (despite DGAC’s current amazing rearguard action) surely few people will bother running the old sites?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Cost sharing has always been allowed in Germany and these seat sharing websites have been around since the internet was invented. But they never grew very popular and I do not know of anyone who ever successfully offered places for share over such a site or found some free places. I think this is because the whole idea is against the very principle of individual travel by private aircraft: Being able to fly where I want and when I want. What are the statistical odds that anyone else needs to fly from Shoreham on the 29th of August to Lyon and back on the 2nd of September with an intermediate stop at Charleroi for a business lunch? Exactly zero. And this is why the whole concept has never really taken off. And why bother anyway if one can fly from Gatwick to Charleroi with EasyJet or Ryanair on any day of the year for 19 currency units?

EDDS - Stuttgart

Article on my Wingly flights online today

A few weeks ago, I met with a journalist from a local online newspaper who was looking for some “out of the ordinary” stories for their news portal’s relaunch. We talked about an hour about flight sharing platforms (which have been mighty successful in Germany this year, with lots of print and TV media coverage), GA flying in general.

The article is in German only. Despite the fact that not a single of the presented quotes actually came out of my mouth like that and some minor factual inaccuracies (like the Piper Archer private jet), all in all I do like the article and the positive light it sheds on GA and flight sharing (and myself )

http://www.derwesten.de/staedte/muelheim/dieser-duesseldorfer-fliegt-dich-im-privat-jet-fuer-den-preis-einer-bahn-fahrt-id208693209.html

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Thanks for taking your time for this, Patrick. It might also be a worthwile advertisement for EDLE in this local newspaper, since they are in a difficult situation, being threatened with closure by local politics and a citizen’s initiative as you know.

Privatjet-PA28 – WOW

EDLE

europaxs wrote:

It might also be a worthwile advertisement for EDLE in this local newspaper, since they are in a difficult situation, being threatened with closure by local politics and a citizen’s initiative as you know.

Definitely (I just went through the old thread on this on PuF because it came up again today)!

and a citizen’s initiative as you know.

Indeed. If I really want my mood to deteriorate, I’ll either read the comments section under political news these days – or I look at those initiatives’ spiteful websites.

New insurance to cover cost sharing platform Wingly

Today, Wingly announced their cooperation with Allianz and SAAM Verspieren to bring an insurance package to all cost sharing flights managed via their platform. I believe this is a “first” platform in Europe to offer something like this. The insurance covers any damages to passengers, their luggage, and third parties on the ground up to a limit of 1 million EUR per case IF the original insurance of the aircraft and pilot do not cover all incurred costs. The insurance does not cover pilot and aircraft damage. It is included automatically for all flights and does not cost extra.

https://en.wingly.io/index.php?page=content&sub_page=insurance

Do you think this will create a competitive advantage for this platform and will boost the pilot and passenger population of the platform? From our discussions here, I found that some people tend to stay away from these platforms due to (among many other personal reasons) liability uncertainties. Do you feel these are adequately addressed with this change?

Patrick wrote:

The insurance covers any damages to passengers, their luggage, and third parties on the ground up to a limit of 1 million EUR per case

That seems too low to make a real difference.

The minimum amount prescribed by law for a car liability insurance in Germany is 7.5 million € for people damages alone. So if you badly injure one (or two, or three) passengers, the damages could easily surpass these 1 million €, which on top have to be shared for other liabilities like those from damages on the ground.

I think its a good step in the right direction.

From what I know, most of the my flights are already covered to a certain degree (I think 5-6 million) with the plane liability insurance which is already compulsory for every aircraft. So they are offering an additional 1 million to complement the original amount. When you compare it to car liability it does round up to be the same.

While I was previously hesitant about the legalities surrounding this flight sharing concept and waiting for the CAA to comment on it. Now that it’s legal its nice to see that this platform Wingly is working to make it safer for the pilots and their passengers. With flying season coming close I would probably try them out to fly with them for this reason itself. Hopefully saving a few quid here and there as well.

London Elstree Aerodrome, Denham Aerodrome Airport

CesnaSteve wrote:

From what I know, most of the my flights are already covered to a certain degree (I think 5-6 million) with the plane liability insurance which is already compulsory for every aircraft.

So in the unlikely case that you cause exactly 6-7 million of damages, this insurance will be useful. Below, the insurance you already have will kick in, and above, the 1 million of additional cover won’t make a difference.

Rwy20 wrote:

Below, the insurance you already have will kick in, and above, the 1 million of additional cover won’t make a difference.

Look closely into the smallprint of your insurance contract. Those 6-7 Million may be for third party damages only while your own passengers are insured for the standard ICAO/EASA/whatever mandatory minimum (in EASAland currently 250,000 Special Drawing Rights, about 320,000 Euros). So that extra million might actually double the payout if three passengers are carried.

Last Edited by what_next at 07 Mar 16:56
EDDS - Stuttgart
131 Posts
Sign in to add your message