Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA La Rochelle Fly-In - May 2013

Weather is going to be a challenge. Sunday will be nice for a trip back to the UK but looks hardly doable for going east, i.e. Germany

In Munich (FWIW) the cloud base appears to be very irregular but as low as 1000 ft AGL as I write this.

I'm afraid I've had to cancel due to work commitments - will do my best to make the next one!

EGEO

Currently looking 50/50 for today's departure. Looking better for Sat am.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Today's flight cancelled. Tops too high over N France, and cloudbases in the departure area not much below the 0C level and with the constant rain that suggests a possibility of freezing rain. Plan B is tomorrow morning.

Administrator

Good decision. Here's the current precipitation radar:

And the current satellite IR picture showing the high ranging clouds:

La Rochelle shows no clouds below 10,000ft but some some stuff passing by during the day.

LFBH 241330Z AUTO 30018KT 9999 NSC 13/06 Q1015

LFBH 241100Z 2412/2512 30015KT 9999 BKN040 TEMPO 2412/2421 29015G25KT 4000 SHRA BKN025TCU PROB30 2412/2418 SCT025CB PROB40 2415/2506 30020G30KT

Out of interest: What type of GA aircraft would have made you go with the current type of weather, Peter?

Something with a FL250 ceiling and anti-ice

Had it been apparent that one could climb on top post-departure (patches of blue sky tend to be a give-away on that) then I would have flown it no problem. Tops were prob99 below FL200.

But I tend to not depart if there is a good chance of collecting too much ice on the way up. There is an escape route through descent into warm air (0C level about 4000ft) but why bother?

A TB21 with full TKS would have been fine.

Others will disagree. I know of pilots who practically always fly...

It also appears doable VFR, today, below the cloud, IMHO. Just have to avoid the heavy showers, and ensure that you don't enter IMC.

Administrator

In these conditions I prob would have gone in the PA-46 - but I haven't researched weather just going off what shown in thread.

EGTK Oxford

Warleyair landed today, I am planning to depart 0800 UTC tomorrow, and there is one more I know about.

Remember the offer of an PocketFMS EasyVFR license to each EuroGA member who makes it is still valid

GRAMET wx for EGKA to LFBH

For those going IFR:

EGKA
DCT SITET A34 LGL A5 NTS A25 LUSON DCT
LFBH
FL070-140+

LFBH
LUSON A25 NTS R14 MINQI DCT JSY G27 NEVIL
EGKA
FL070-140+

Administrator

Peter - Pleased to see you have become an 'aficionado' of the Uni of Granada!

Have a safe light and a great time all of you who make the fly-in!

Sign in to add your message