Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Non EASA aircraft - an exact definition?

There are many loose definitions floating around e.g. here

The above is true but obviously incomplete.

Elsewhere I have seen stuff like “without an EASA CofA” (which is obviously wrong because an N-reg PA28 would be non EASA) and the really tricky one would be “without an EASA Type Certificate”.

There are I believe multiple cases of aircraft which are Annex 2 for some specimens and CofA for others, for the same type.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Everything that is “Annex II” is non-EASA. It doesn’t matter what reg it is, CofA or not. For instance a US LSA is non-EASA, but a CS-LSA is EASA. None of them are ICAO.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Everything that is “Annex II” is non-EASA. It doesn’t matter what reg it is, CofA or not.

Yes, but as Peter says, it is possible to have different aircraft of the same type being either EASA or Annex II.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Yes, but as Peter says, it is possible to have different aircraft of the same type being either EASA or Annex II.

That’s irrelevant. An EASA LSA is registered as an EASA LSA according to CS-LSA, period. The “same” aircraft may be flying as a microlight at one place, a US LSA another place, and as an experimental a third place. It may very well be in the same country. But only the CS-LSA aircraft is an EASA aircraft.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

What I am getting at is that a full definition is going to be non-trivial and would have to include a very long list of specific airframes!

The obvious is, of course, obvious!

Administrator

Peter wrote:

What I am getting at is that a full definition is going to be non-trivial

I don’t see why. Everything that is not an EASA aircraft is a non-EASA aircraft. An EASA-aircraft is very well defined. Well, not unless you want to redefine the meaning of an EASA aircraft

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

An EASA-aircraft is very well defined. Well, not unless you want to redefine the meaning of an EASA aircraft

I would not say it is “well defined”. After the fact, of course. But if you want to move an aircraft from a non-EASA state registry to an EASA state registry it is not always obvious if it will be an Annex II or EASA aircraft. No doubt it will be in most cases.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 21 Mar 15:28
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Are you asking about the aircraft that are subject to the EASA Basic Regulation, or about the phrase “non-EASA aircraft” as used in the ANO 2016?

The latter, I think

The context is the US usage e.g. NPPL privileges ending April 2018, etc.

Administrator

A non-EASA aircraft is an aircraft on the Annex 2 list, if we restrict it to aircraft requiring a PPL(A). ( Not powered parachutes, microlights, etc.)
An aircraft type can be added to this list.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
64 Posts
Sign in to add your message