Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Non EASA aircraft - an exact definition?

Peter wrote:

This is going off on a tangent but IMHO the way an N-reg 747 is treated in the EU (e.g. pilots not needing the duplicate EASA ATPLs) is not based on whether the US airline is “based” in the EU but is based on them having a permission to fly to the EU (itself negotiated at a high level) and having an AOC accepted by the EU.

No. A corporate (e.g. NCC) operator based outside the EU isn’t subject to any European Ops or FCL requirements. Of course a CAT operator needs the appropriate permissions to operate in the EU.

Fly310 wrote:

Yes, I am not sure if the Meyers is Annex II or not but I couldn’t find it in this list of EASA Type Certificates:
https://www.easa.europa.eu/download/easa-product-lists/EASA-PRODUCT-LIST-Small-Aeroplanes.pdf

I am not sure if this list is complete but it was last updated in November 2016. If you know of any other unusual airplanes, please try to find them in the list and we can see what the result is.

Here is another example, the FAA-certified Quartz Mountain tricycle gear version of the Luscombe 11A.

This design has an interesting history, the tricycle gear conversion was a long term 1970s/80s project of a French guy resident in the US. A friend of mine knew him well. He was old enough to have been the Pratt and Whitney field rep in pre-war France, which is how, why and when he ended up in the US, and he never completed his plane. After he passed on his work passed to Quartz Mountain and they attempted to start serial production of the plane.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 07 Apr 15:22

Hello,

This is to inform you about the Aero Commander (Meyers) 200d.
The only one in Europe, D-ECDW, has found an new home with me in EDLP.

The Meyers is EASA, ELA 2 with a TC from Interceptor Corporation.

I will keep you posted on her future way and will try to make it to am Meeting next year,

Thomas

EDLP

ThKube wrote:

This is to inform you about the Aero Commander (Meyers) 200d. The only one in Europe, D-ECDW, has found an new home with me in EDLP.

Very cool. Congratulations!

You can find on line photos of several other European registered/based Meyers 200s, but I suppose they must’ve slowly made their way back to the US (?)

Last Edited by Silvaire at 19 Jul 21:30

Thank you.
There was F-BOLS, which crashed around 2000 and there was G-SONY,which is back in the U.S.

Thomas

EDLP

To come back to “FAA certified but no EASA TC” – what is the bottom line on this? Are there really non-EASA aircraft which are able to fly freely?

The UK CAA list posted by Neil above has an awful lot of stuff, and I would be amazed if there wasn’t something in there which does have an ICAO CofA and thus doesn’t need the various overflight etc permits.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Saab Safir ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

Are there really non-EASA aircraft which are able to fly freely?

All Annex II with a standard CofA…?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

An interesting angle on the UK ANO definition of “EASA aircraft” is here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Are there really non-EASA aircraft which are able to fly freely?

The Piper Apache springs to mind – I’m pretty sure the Apache is non-EASA, but an N-reg one will be on an ICAO CofA.

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message