Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ICAO PPL -> EASA PPL with 150h -> all 9 exams

Long-time reader, first time poster here!

I have an FAA PPL and a Canadian PPL with +150h and looking into converting it to an EASA PPL. I know the rules and requirements, it’s just a matter of opting for the best/most affordable route. One of the options would be NAC in Florida, they regained their EASA authorization a while ago. In emails back and forth with this facility, I was struck with this statement by my contact there:

“By the way, there has been an amendment to the requirements for the PPL conversion : even if you have 100 hours or more you will need to do the 9 written exams. This is the only change to what I emailed before.”

I asked her for clarification since I can’t find that claim anywhere.
Is this true??

Many thanks,

Lode

EBAV

You’ll find all of the regulation here. Scroll down to “Aircrew”, click the button on the right “Show Regulations”, and select the consolidated version. You will find what you are looking for in Annex III “CONDITIONS FOR THE ACCEPTANCE OF LICENCES ISSUED BY OR ON BEHALF OF THIRD COUNTRIES”

The latest consolidated version of the Aircrew regulations is here.

Pilot licences for non-commercial activities without an instrument rating

5. In the case of private pilot licences, or CPL and ATPL licences without an instrument rating where the pilot intends only to exercise private pilot privileges, the holder shall comply with the following requirements:
(a) demonstrate that he/she has acquired knowledge of Air Law and Human Performance;
(b) pass the PPL skill test as set out in Part-FCL;
(c) fulfil the relevant requirements of Part-FCL for the issuance of a type or class rating as relevant to the privileges of the licence held;
(d) hold at least a Class 2 medical certificate issued in accordance with Annex 1 to the Chicago Convention;
(e) demonstrate that he/she has acquired language proficiency in accordance with FCL.055;
(f) have a minimum experience of at least 100 hours as pilot in the relevant category of aircraft

So you need to study and pass the exams in Air Law and Human Performance, and then sign up for and pass the PPL skill test with an examiner. I do not know how they would handle the language proficiency issue.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 15 Apr 12:30
LFPT, LFPN

OK, that’s what I thought, only 2 exams to be passed when you have +100 hrs in the logbook.
I don’t have a clue how or why NAC is stating that ALL 9 exams have to be written with +100 hrs.

As for the language proficiency, it will depend on the issuing EASA member state.
I know for a Belgian EASA license, you have to pass an ELP test with only a limited number of authorized examiners available (of course).

L

EBAV

roelsl wrote:

I don’t have a clue how or why NAC is stating that ALL 9 exams have to be written with +100 hrs.

Ask them for a reference or provide them the above text. But in any event, why would you want to do this in the US? I do not see an FTO is required.

LFPT, LFPN

If it helps, I am an authorised ELP examiner for Belgium.

LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)
for a Belgian EASA license, you have to pass an ELP test

Since when would one have to pass the ELP to gain a PPL?
Rather the other way around, my understanding is one first gains the PPL (which includes a basic R/T license) then goes for ELP if required?

Then again, does there exist such a beast as a Belgian EASA license?

Last Edited by at 15 Apr 15:29
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

You don’t. However, if you do not master the local language, you may need the ELP.

LFPT, LFPN

I have never flown in Belgium, but it is my understanding that English is compulsory in controlled airspace.

I think that a few FISOs speak French/Dutch though.

LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

From the AIP, GEN 3.4:

In the Brussels FIR/UIR English shall be used to contact ATS units providing ATC, FIS and AFIS.

So at least initially ELP is not an issue.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
it is my understanding that English is compulsory in controlled airspace.

Yes indeed, as per above.

I think that a few FISOs speak French/Dutch though.

What again do you mean by “FISO”? At the Flight Information Service (FIS), Brussels Information, 126.900 MHz, I have known rare calls in French, they were always rigidly rebuked. None in Dutch that I ever heard. Aerodrome radio operators in the North universally use English, at some rural fields in the South I have heard some French – but more often profound silence.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message