Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do you guys have people around you who do not like your hobby?

Finners wrote:

Your Dad’s anxiety about your flying is easily cured. Tell him you’re buying a really fast motorcycle.

That wouldn’t work on my Dad, he still races sidecars in the Isle of Man TT!

Not that he’s worried about flying of course :-)

Andreas IOM

Finners wrote:

Even that doesn’t remove all the risk. I managed to have my one and only motorcycle accident whilst stationary. No other vehicle involved. Don’t ask.

I’ve done that, too.

Right in front of the guy who owns the local motorcycle dealership as well! At least he leapt out of his car to help me right the beast afterwards…

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

This is a real huge problem (difficult to do holidays abroad, etc) and may not have a solution for a particular person. Many years ago I met a girl (about 30) who would almost have a panic attack when shown the photograph of a light aircraft sitting on the ground… However she was happy to be “friendly” with a load of drug dealers in Crawley so risk perception can be non-obvious.

My previous two girlfriends were not that much into flying, either. One had to puke on our first flight after like 20 minutes of flight in calm air WITHOUT A WARNING. The other one told me to shutdown the engine after startup because, and I quote “I am afraid of machines”. It’s no surprise that these relationships didn’t last (flying was not the main reason, but it contributed to the decision). It’s really hard to find girls who are into flying and all the hassles that come with it. Actually, I don’t even mention flying as my hobby anymore as this turns off 80% of the woman I talk to.

But to get back on topic: There’s only really one thing you can do here: If you really want to do this put everything into it and show your father that you are dedicated and professional about it. If he has trust in your confidence as a pilot that’s the best you can give him in this case. My mother is also not keen on me flying, but I call her after every flight and tell her the standard line “We arrived safely and everything went according to plan”.

Actually, I don’t even mention flying as my hobby anymore as this turns off 80% of the woman I talk to.

That sounds like a good way of filtering out the ones you have no chance of a long term relationship with, to be honest!

Andreas IOM

Totally agree… like I said, a lot of guys seem to happily choose girls who dislike most of what they do. However, I used to do the same when I was young I know a young chap (20s) who spent years going around with a certified bunny boiler because – in his view – she looked good.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

If possible, choose a partner who respects you as you are and who you respect as he/she is

Couldn’t agree more. The problem is, it seldom happen on the first try (But I guess that’s just the way it is)

Peter wrote:

but in GA at least 90% is under the pilot’s control

I would say it is closer to 99% . But then again, speed and excitement is a part of this. It’s a hobby for most of us here, and I see no reason to play it as “safe as possible” just because that’s what airliners do. If you have passengers: apply large margins. Flying alone (or with a pilot friend): manage the risks to suit your level.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Hello Cucumber…

well. your question is one I hear all the time when I am talking to people about buying planes. My answer is always the same: Do sort out your family problems regarding flying thoroughly and properly before you even consider starting out, as it will follow and bite you if you don’t.

In your case, I’d say you are “lucky” in the sense of we are not talking a girlfriend or wife but a parent, who might still give you grief but at least it won’t be about sharing your life with someone who will not take part in something important to you. Any responsible parent however will sooner or later realize that stopping their kids from doing what they love and what their ambition is will come back to bite them and is doing a disservice to them.

In terms of girls, best is to find one which either already flies herself or is at least interested. Yes, there are quite a few around and if you are still single and flying is important to you, then that is the way I’d go about that. As Peter has pointed out, today’s possibilities are quite good for that, being via internet dating or otherwise. It might also help to join AOPA or other such organisations and/or look around in places where people who like flying are likely to be present. I know one guy who found his today wife at Oskosh….

What definitly is an illusion today is that women of any sort may be impressed by you being a pilot, particularly in GA terms. Not that I think it was ever true for GA folks, maybe for airline pilots, but not for us.

So talk to your dad, take him to see airplanes, touch them, sit in them and maybe even for a flight with an instructor. And then follow your dream.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

If you want a simple life, stay single (an example appears to be in post #13)

Spot on! Even twice!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Dominik wrote:

My mother is also not keen on me flying, but I call her after every flight and tell her the standard line “We arrived safely and everything went according to plan”.

That’s pretty much how my dad is with everything. At least in the beginning. When I drove for the first time when I was 18, I had to call them every morning as well once I arrived at school and such. Eventually they got it that I am good at driving and I didn’t have to call anymore. I am guessing that it will be the same with flying.

LeSving wrote:

But then again, speed and excitement is a part of this. It’s a hobby for most of us here, and I see no reason to play it as “safe as possible” just because that’s what airliners do.

Can one not have fun without going dangerous? I think maybe I misunderstand of which areas you are thinking of that one could go more lax on. Maybe it is something like being a bush pilot. An airline would never land on a sandbank!

Always keep the horizon in view!
LSZH

I’ve given up with some of my friends, or their wives. You’re trying to fight a mentality which views GA both as a socially unacceptable luxury and as inferior to commercial traffic. The “how much does it cost” trick question, or the condescending “it’s only got x horsepower/x seats?” You’d think these two viewpoints would be mutually exclusive…

Some of it might be that people don’t know much about GA and are naturally against, as the only information is usually news reports of crashes.
I only talk about flying when asked now, although I do still try to convert people. “I went to Le Touquet for lunch and it only cost £60 more than car & ferry but saved 7 hours” works quite well. This is counting even the time ‘wasted’ at the airfield moving aircraft in and out of hangars etc.

A good question is to ask doubters how much their car costs to run per mile/kilometre. They don’t have a clue

Family-wise my wife is reasonably supportive, but isn’t that keen on flying any more. It’s a shame, as she really enjoys the days out (Alderney, Bembridge and Le Touquet are favourites) but spends too much time thinking about the flying part. Daughter isn’t old enough to realise My mother isn’t that keen, but my father likes coming for a flight – he wanted to a pilot in his youth.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message