Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do you guys have people around you who do not like your hobby?

Capitaine wrote:

A good question is to ask doubters how much their car costs to run per mile/kilometre. They don’t have a clue

A more direct approach is to ask if they earn enough money to satisfy their responsibilities and still have fun, or have they been relatively unsuccessful in planning their lives?

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 Aug 14:20

Capitaine wrote:

“I went to Le Touquet for lunch and it only cost £60 more than car & ferry but saved 7 hours” works quite well.

Works well for this route because it includes a ferry and a lot of hassle. Not so for a 100km car drive – it is much cheaper and also faster by car.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

What a great old but perpetually valid thread… I wonder what happened to @cucumber?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Vladimir wrote:

Works well for this route because it includes a ferry and a lot of hassle. Not so for a 100km car drive

Depends on the car drive. When I was towing gliders for the Soaring Club of Houston, it’d take me around 55 minutes (from leaving home) to get to the SCOH by Cessna 140, and over 1.5 hours to drive to the same place.

The same is probably true for half the journeys that follow the M6 in England due to how common 15 mile traffic jams are on the M6.

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

What a great old but perpetually valid thread… I wonder what happened to @cucumber?

Not much! I moved to Europe last year but haven’t really done anything related to GA because:

• Expensive!
  • Busy!
  • Weather is not good enough for flying often here it seems!
Always keep the horizon in view!
LSZH

@Peter If you still care about an update, then I can tell you that I am considering getting a PPL!

LSZH

Great desicion! Where in Europe are you based?

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

If you still care about an update, then I can tell you that I am considering getting a PPL!

That’s a great decision. You won’t regret it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am based in LSZH!

LSZH

cucumber wrote:

I am based in LSZH!

So am I! Let’s get together for a beer or similar.

But if you live here then I can very well understand your position…

cucumber wrote:

Expensive!
Busy!
Weather is not good enough for flying often here it seems!

Full agreement. Zurich is so expensive that there is no money left for anything, working times and commutes make for 14 hour days and the weather….. well once you find out where I work you will know why I take the 5th on that.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message