Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do you guys have people around you who do not like your hobby?

DavidJ wrote:

It’s quite seductive to say ‘ah well, if it wasn’t for all the 7 billion other people in the world we wouldn’t have to worry about climate change’.

Well, it is also quite factual that while in Europe and many other places people do get one kid in average, there are places where there are 5 or 6 in the average up to 10…

So let’s say we castrate every male in Europe at birth or entry and let Europe die out within a generation, it would be filled up in no time by people who still think safety is in numbers when it comes to kids. Any Vaccum is filled faster than it gets created.

Unless one suggests to exterminate all human life to safe the planet for whatever comes after humans, and make no mistake there are nutters who say exactly that, it is simple mathematics that a one or max two child policy per family will not increase the number of people but rather decrease it. Now who tries to enforce that violently, should have a look at China. They still grow despite that, simply that kids are born illegally and most female babies either get aborted or abandoned. Now is that a life one wants to see in Europe or the US? No thanks.

For me, people who claim they do not want kids because of that are 80-90% phonies. They don’t want kids because they can’t be bothered and justify it by pointing out what heroes they are to the environment. But they do keep the statistics down too.. as far as I remember reproductivity has been on the decline for decades in Switzerland.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

For me, people who claim they do not want kids because of that are 80-90% phonies

Two rights don’t make a wrong

I didn’t have kids because I was enjoying life too much to get married and wasn’t encouraged that either being married or having children would make my life better, or the world better. No big agenda, just looking at life and making choices.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

For me, people who claim they do not want kids because of that are 80-90% phonies.

Yup.

For the record, I was also agreeing with your previous post. One may or may not be interested/aware/give a c*** about climate change and the environment. But it’s obviously ridiculous to say that ‘if there were 1% of the current world population then we could all burn as much carbon as we liked, so as a non-parent I’m doing my bit – it’s not MY problem’.

We are where we are, and we have to deal with it.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

who claim to have given up the idea of children “for the environment”

Maybe they should be nominated for the Darwin award. Is all I have to comment on that BS.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

After much reading, staring at Excel sheets, and thinking, I have come to conclusion that I will not be doing my PPL after all.

No matter how I turn it or try to justify it, flying GA is just very expensive (too expensive to enjoy). 800 to 1000 bucks each month is just a lot of money. I do not think I can enjoy it if I am always “redlining” my budget. And then not even considering spending 25’000 on the PPL itself.

Yes, I could save money here and there so I could have more money for flying, but ultimately I do not think flying is worth that much.

Maybe all the YouTube Videos from the US spoiled it (for example FlightChops) for me and I expect the wrong things.

Always keep the horizon in view!
LSZH

Are there no clubs in Switzerland where you can do the ppl or lapl for around 8-12k euro?

always learning
LO__, Austria

25.000 for PPL ??
800-1000 per month ??
Where’s that from ? That’s totally too high !

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

No one I know has ever mentioned ‘the environment’ when it comes to my private flying.

In any case, if they did, I would point out that they are driving their car to work every day, but I’m using a bicycle, so we’re even :-) (I’ve done 1200km of cycle commuting this year alone. I don’t do it to save the earth (it won’t), I do it to save me!)

Last Edited by alioth at 10 Mar 15:22
Andreas IOM

If I look here:

https://www.birrfeld.ch/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/alles-zum-Motorflug-2019.pdf

That’s alone 20k for PPL, but only with 45h. But they state that most people need 60h (so 120h flight instructor).

So when I used my excel sheet that alone is 16k + other fees, that is like ~20k.

Is my calculation off?

Always keep the horizon in view!
LSZH

Why not get a two week trip somewhere nice to do it? for the same price you may have a PPL+IR as well?

Assuming you have time and you care about money and happy to travel for it…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message