Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do you guys have people around you who do not like your hobby?

Ibra wrote:

Why not get a two week trip somewhere nice to do it? for the same price you may have a PPL+IR as well?

Like the US?

Always keep the horizon in view!
LSZH

cucumber wrote:

No matter how I turn it or try to justify it, flying GA is just very expensive (too expensive to enjoy). 800 to 1000 bucks each month is just a lot of money. I do not think I can enjoy it if I am always “redlining” my budget. And then not even considering spending 25’000 on the PPL itself.

There is something very wrong there.

I am not saying some school doesn’t charge 25k for a PPL – because I have seen quite a lot of strange practices around over the years. But it is about 2x what it should be, for an average candidate.

How about doing it somewhere else? Post brexit I am sure the UK will be just fine too.

Or you could take 6 weeks off and do it at one of the US schools which do an FAA+EASA PPL all in one go, for much less.

Regarding flying costs, consider sharing your flights with friends. Here in the UK, the bulk of the PPL / renter community will not fly at all unless they can cost share.

for the same price you may have a PPL+IR as well?

You can’t do an EASA IR outside Euroland. Years ago I heard rumours that a part of it could be done thus but have never seen any supporting evidence. The EASA PPL certainly, and possibly the CPL also.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, US & Canada mainly if you aspire for an IR for a vanilla PPL I may try “schools” in Spain or Poland as quick & cheap alternatives?

Later you can cost share for trips with other pilots, tug gliders/drop prachutes for building hours or just buy your own permit aircraft but you can’t have it all if you don’t have time & money and you are not “happy to invest” in you own currency/ratings…

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Mar 16:40
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Post brexit I am sure the UK will be just fine too.

Oh… So the weather will also improve once you’re out Sorry for trolling but it was too tempting.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

What I meant was that I believe the UK will continue to be a good place for getting flight training There is a lot of commercial motivation for its present strong position to continue – even if some UK FTOs will need to register themselves with EU based addresses.

UK weather will never get better…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

Are there no clubs in Switzerland where you can do the ppl or lapl for around 8-12k euro?

12 k Euros will be pushing it. 15k possibly in one school I know of (possibly there are more)

@cucumber you might want to talk to a friend of mine who owns a school not far from ZRH. Give me a shout via PM and we’ll get in touch. Their quote is substantially less than the two you quote there, both of which are at the top end of the Swiss schools price wise but are also very good schools. But there definitly are schools which will do the job cheaper.

Also I believe that the number of 60 hours is quite high. If you are comitted and you are doing the training with a school which can train on the place where they are based, the standard 40 hours should be more than enough with a half ways talented candidate. I did my PPL in less than that at the time.

As for the 1k bucks per month that depends what you are doing. For 1k you can fly up to 5 hours in a low cost airplane, which totalls 60 hours per year. That is much more than most people do. I knew a guy at the time who had a PA28-140 and claimed he ran it for about 150 CHF per hour, which is quite realistic if you run it for 60 hours a year and are purely VFR. The same would go for an older 172. The school I mentioned above also rent out their 4 seaters for about 200 I think.

The other variant is to really go abroad and get your PPL done. Don’t forget, you can do the theory mostly in distance learning, so you could actually do the flying bit during a vaccation. I understand that there are clubs and schools in Austria and Germany which are massively cheaper, whether however it makes sense when you have to pay for hotel and food is another story.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 11 Mar 08:49
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

@Cucumber. Have you considered UL flying? Maybe go to Aero Friedrichshafen next month?

Last Edited by aart at 11 Mar 09:17
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

Have you considered UL flying?

Still not an option in Switzerland…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Foreign UL’s can visit Switzerland, but the Swiss can’t own and fly one. Remarkable. One of the arguments is noise. FOCA management and the population at large must suffer from hyperacusis. I guess in the end UL-flying with soft purring Rotaxes will be allowed. Is it an option to be a non-Swiss resident and base a foreign reg UL there? Prob not.. Maybe Cucumber should have a look at the experimental scene which i understand is allowed.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

These prices like 20+ for a ppl are totally outrageous. But maybe because it’s Switzerland.
Why don’t you just cross the border and do it in Germany ?

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany
Sign in to add your message