Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What's happening to Hawker?

The former Hawker Beechcraft company emerged from Chapter 11 as the Beechcraft Corporation, a manufacturer of Bonanzas, Barons and King Airs.

Their website still offers the re-manufactured Hawker 400 and Hawker 800 for sale, but does anyone know what's happening to the rest of the Hawker product line?

I felt that the Hawker 4000 had potential to be an outstanding machine, once all the niggles had been sorted out.

EGNS, EGKB, EGCV, United Kingdom

They have apparently discontinued the Hawker 4000 but had a number of them in stock looking for buyers. Note the pricing in the link below...

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Hawker4000SellOffOkayed_207836-1.html

A bargain at 6.6million. Think I may enquire about having two of them, one in red, the other in blue. I thought the Chinese had wanted the jet part of the company. I must check, maybe these talks have broken down.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

More info.....

Hawker may be no more, and the emerged company from the restructure will be Beechcraft only. The China deal, Superior Aviation, fell through, and it was they who were taking on the Hawker line of jet production. They cite, amongst other things, for the deal going sour, 'cultural differences'.

So, the few machines that were built, (75), with a pretty full order book in excess of 250, may become 'orphan jets', with little residual value, limited parts support, and a bit of a bummer if you have shelled out the 20million plus, to have one...

Would suggest that when the news hit, it was not the greatest start to your day.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

with a pretty full order book in excess of 250

Is that not worth something?

Unless there is no profit margin on building these, or there are massive reliability / build quality issues, surely this is a viable business for somebody to pick up.

They cite, amongst other things, for the deal going sour, 'cultural differences'.

Gosh, there is a suprise. I deal with Chinese suppliers on an almost daily basis. It's tough...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Cash rich buyers, ones needing a biz jet anyway, could buy one now for a fraction of retail and take the bet that in time the situation will sort itself out and values will rise.

Where did the customer deposits go? That could kill off the economics as with Eclipse.

EGTK Oxford

"Unless there is no profit margin on building these, or there are massive reliability / build quality issues, surely this is a viable business for somebody to pick up.">

The Hawker 4000 was potentially a fantastic aeroplane, but to say that it had build quality and reliability issues would be something of an understatement.

In fact, as I understand it, the development costs and then the warranty costs of the Hawker 4000 were two of the more significant factors that contributed to Hawker Beechcraft's troubles.

EGNS, EGKB, EGCV, United Kingdom
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message