Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

If you owned your hangar, what would you do?

I would rent a corner to a freelance A&P/IA and another corner to a freelance avionics installer

And have free hangarage

And I would put in heating.

My life would be 10000% easier – no more servicing in the wind and rain. No more Annuals in -4C in a rented hangar with buckets on the floor to catch the leaks, wearing 3 layers of clothing…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I own one hangar but its at the lake for my cub.

The main space I work from is a hangar I have rented which is 2500sqft sectioned off from the rest of the hangar, roughly a 50×50ft square space and I have a quarter of it taken up with shelves for 2-3000 airplane parts with a loft built over it. I can keep 3.5 planes of my own (or brokered) hangared in the remaining space. I can keep two outside on the tarmac out the front. I agree a freelance avionics guy would be a good addition to any hangar, I have one that comes to me regularly. I also can have contract guys like sheet metal, interiors, mechs come and work on my a/c in my rented space.

If I owned it I would build a spray booth no question and move the parts elsewhere. At the moment I have a 470m grass strip to sell on behalf of late owners estate on 9 acres with a 60×40ft hangar, on the edge of a motorway roughly 90 mins from Dublin. If I wasn’t happy where I am I would move there.

William

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

I insulated the roof and walls and installed a heat pump. All painted bright white and with bright led lighting. It’s like a car showroom! A very happy house for my helicopter.

Meanwhile my fixed wing lives in a hangar with birds flying around inside and a leak in the roof, but at least it doesn’t have any of shoreham’s rules attached!

EGKL, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Peter 04-Jun-17 16:51 #01
I would rent a corner to a freelance A&P/IA and another corner to a freelance avionics installer

And have free hangarage

And I would put in heating.

My life would be 10000% easier – no more servicing in the wind and rain. No more Annuals in -4C in a rented hangar with buckets on the floor to catch the leaks, wearing 3 layers of clothing…

That implies:

1. It’s a bigish hangar.
  2. It’s at a largeish airfield, or at least one with hard runway(s).

I do own my hangar but neither of the above are true. However it’s just 10 minutes from home rather than the hour + of my previous rented hangar space, and at my age time is, probably, in short supply. Plus I’m free from the ‘Hi-Viz’ dictators and the other mainstream nausea.
The swallows are nice to have around but I do wish they would go outside to crap. I should buy some mist netting for the roof space.

Last Edited by ChuckGlider at 05 Jun 07:59

I would probably do like one at Kjeller did. Redecorate a bit, a bathroom, a kitchen corner, a bed. Then I could stay there all weekends building aircraft and fly an our or two in the pauses

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It doesn’t look like many pilots here own a hangar, or would like to

The latter bit is really surprising, to me.

Administrator

Mine in the US is rented, but at ~$400/month provides enough space for a living room area with stocked fridge, work shop large enough to hold a car and several motorcycles, plus (when carefully arranged) space for two planes. That’s also what I’d do if I owned a hangar. I’ve looked into owning but in my area it ends up being far more expensive with no real benefit. The biggest difference would be water and a bathroom versus walking a minute away. Maybe someday when I’m old and don’t need the money for other things…

Rent it out for aircraft. Sit on my arse and collect the money.

There is a massive shortage of hanger space in my neck of the woods.

Well, I own a hangar, which is my enclosed trailer

EDLE

There is a massive shortage of hanger space in my neck of the woods.

Why is that? Due to lack of space to build, or due to lack of planning permission, or excessive business rates?

Well, I own a hangar, which is my enclosed trailer

But, can you work inside?

Administrator
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message