Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

If you owned your hangar, what would you do?

No, for maintenance I transport my Europa to my mechanic or to a hangar, where ever that is – almost independant of weather

EDLE

Hangarbot may be interesting to hangar owners.

You get remote control for engine preheat and you get some sort of hangar security. I nearly managed to buy a hangar about 15 years ago and would have definitely been doing all of that

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Interesting that there’s a pre-made package for this. If I had a hangar I’d do as I do for my garage and workshop. Z wave automation with probably domoticz. Would allow more flexibility and control.

There are certainly many systems for remote surveillance (over ADSL), and there are many products for remote main on/off (over ADSL or by SMS). I have one of the latter at work, for rebooting the IT gear there. Integrating them is quite nice though.

With SMS there are some challenges e.g. a PAYG SIM will generally expire after 90 days (I know there are exceptions) so one needs a box which incurrs a “chargeable event” every 89 days

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I made an offer on a small grass airfield a few years ago – to cut a long story short there was a lot of time-wasting from both the seller and the estate agent and nothing happened. I must admit the plan was to take the planes out of one of the hangars to use it as a warehouse for work [shock horror] and eventually to build a replacement hangar.

Someone I know makes heaters that burn used engine oil which I was planning on getting.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

We have a hangar. 80 feet by 80 feet by 24 feet high. Hot water heated floor that is painted polished light gray. Very large HID lights. Door 70 feet wide with an 18 foot clearance when open. There is a side door at the back that is 22 feet wide by 16 foot clear opening. We used that for remote mounted engine control development. Propellers could be moved in and out on the engine stand. We sometimes keep our RV in the back of the hangar when it isn’t being otherwise used. Ours is the little blue Skylane at the back.

This hangar was our very long term dream and it has worked out as well as we hoped it would. Our taxiway is 80 feet wide, paved. The runway is 5200 feet long, 75 feet wide, lighted, with 4 instrument approaches. We host usually 5 airplanes, sometimes fewer if they are large. We do maintenance work on the airplanes inside our hangar and have moveable workbenches for that purpose.

Bend, Oregon airport KBDN.

KBDN (Bend Oregon, USA), Other

Our hangar is circled in red.

For years we worked outside in the rain (and the snow sometimes). We finally found a place to build the hangar we wanted. We have natural gas for heat. That, combined with an extremely efficient hot water floor heating system makes it cost less than $160 US per month to heat, even when the outside temperatures are running below 0. The hangar is well insulated and well sealed.

The little part at the rear left is our office that has a full kitchen, refrigerator/freezer, desk, shower, bathroom, etc. That part is air conditioned in the summer.

KBDN (Bend Oregon, USA), Other

Very nice, thank you for the detailed description.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I pay £2640 a year to park outside. I dream of having a hangar, as there are none at my airfield.

The airfield owners say that it may happen someday if they can get planning permission. Cost is likely to be £8800 per year for a Poly Tunnel type hangar with no power or water.

EGLK, United Kingdom

For me, the dream would be to live on an airpark (i.e. hangar attached to my living space). The only thing is, I quite enjoy apartment living and I don’t aspire to live in a massive house with countless bedrooms (more money for flying that way, too!).

Something similar to this: http://hangarhomes.co.uk

Last Edited by NinerEchoPapa at 10 Apr 10:03
EDLN/EDLF, Germany
Sign in to add your message