Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

In some other life and fortunately some time ago in a misspent youth I recall being stopped in France and professing I hadnt a penny to pay the fine – thinking that would be rather clever. I was given two choices – detention and passport withheld, or follow the gendamerie to the autotill, withdraw the fine, and then receive my passport back. It was an easy choice. It sounds like I am boasting, but actually that isnt the reason, in that I recall on the same journey arriving at the ferry port having had a long “battle” wiith a beautiful Ferrari over some many miles, eventually overtaking me and ending up in the queue to board. There was a large number of people gathered around the car, and eventually I asked one of the loaders the reason for the interest. Ah he said, it is Alan Prost. a short while later Alan came over, shook my hand, and said words to the effect, he had enjoyed the race, I didnt think a British car had it in it. It was a nice compliment, but I am not proud of my driving – well maybe just a bit

simon32 wrote:

I wouldn’t count on it. France has reciprocal agreements with many European countries:
https://www.autoplus.fr/actualite/PV-Exces-de-Vitesse-Radar-Portugal-Infractions-routieres-1522798.html
UK may be in the works.

UK licence points from EU speeding cameras legislation came through in May 2017, but I’ve yet to hear of anyone actually receiving them yet.

From here

So anyone who can somehow prove that they intend to return whatever they have taken can get off a theft charge? Like “borrowing” someone’s car and leaving a note to say you’ll bring it back? Sorry for the thread drift

EGTF, LFTF

denopa wrote:

So anyone who can somehow prove that they intend to return whatever they have taken can get off a theft charge? Like “borrowing” someone’s car and leaving a note to say you’ll bring it back?

Yes indeed. It’s called joyriding.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

This (claiming you didn’t intend to keep it) cannot possibly be anywhere even remotely near the whole story, otherwise no burglar would ever be caught in possession of stolen goods! A google on a suitable phrase e.g.

avoiding a theft charge by claiming you intended to return it

digs out more reading than you want to absorb…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From here

Cobalt wrote:

Part of truly long term thinking is to not assume very much will remain the same

That’s always been my thinking, which is why I was slightly bemused at the uproar over rights of residence for EU nationals post-Brexit.

Who in their right mind would move to a country of which they are not a citizen, and then just assume that their present (reciprocal) rights of residence based on a political alliance would continue to exist forever?

EGLM & EGTN

Who in their right mind would move to a country of which they are not a citizen, and then just assume that their present (reciprocal) rights of residence based on a political alliance would continue to exist forever?

Who in their right mind would be callous enough to even consider taking those rights away retrospectively?

It is not just people have moved somewhere.

Many people who have lived their whole lives in the UK (arrived there as babies) only hold EU nationality because their coutry does not allow dual (i.e. Spain). These people are as British as you and I, but just don’t have a piece of paper that says “British” on it.

Many people’s lives were built on free movement….

And here’s me thinking aviation was an internationally-minded world….

LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

What would the rights of an English person living in Scotland be, if Scotland were to secede? It seems pretty unlikely that they would lose their right to remain, but if you were from Kashmir the suggestion might not seem far fetched. Is any English person moving to Scotland out of their mind? It’s all a matter of degree.

I do know a man who was born in the UK but whose parents had never sought British citizenship for him – because at the time you could not have dual nationality as a Danish citizen and why would they want to be British as they were Danish? In his mid 20s he lost his job then found that he was ineligible to draw benefits, so he emigrated to Denmark. By the time he did so, they had started to allow dual nationality but he felt so rejected that he decided to move anyway. His whole family have followed suit including his sister with whom I was at school some 35 years ago. His sister is married to a British builder. Is it naive of him to assume that he’ll be likely to be able to stay out there with his wife and kids.

Also once met an Australian who have moved there when he was a few months old but was deported in his early 20s having been convicted of some fairly petty offence. His whole family is still out there.

Life is messy. Perhaps we are naive to take these things for granted.

I really don’t think the Brits in Spain would ever be evicted. There are so many of them, it would really damage the Spanish economy in a lot of the sunny places, so Spain would never do that. Also most of them aren’t wealthy enough to ever get back into the UK property market, even rental, so many of them would end up living off the DSS to various degrees, so the UK would do what it can to do a deal with Spain to keep them. Similarly with Brits living in France, though the numbers are I believe a lot smaller. But as kwlf indicates above there are going to be some less clear-cut cases where residence might not be assured. And if you get convicted of something, all bets are off.

If you are from Kashmir then you have no right to live anywhere in Europe unless you applied for asylum, according to the local rules – 5 or 6 years in the UK – and got it. And once you’ve got it, they can’t send you back (in general). My family applied for that and got it because they would have been jailed upon returning (they received several years in absentia for leaving CZ without an exit visa, 1969) so it was a clear cut case, but nowadays most refugees are “economic”. This is not related to the EU system where people can live and work anywhere, without obtaining any local passport etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I didn’t mean to allude to Kashmiris coming to Europe. My point is that people can find themselves on the ‘wrong’ side of borders even if they live where their families have lived for generations. Kashmir, Cyprus, the stateless kids rescued out of the Thai cave… There are any number of examples.

Sign in to add your message