Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

Although I would never consider anyone my inferior, nor rub anyone’s face in anything, I freely admit that I will never understand, nor make allowances, for those who do not comply with normal human standards of decency. Presumably, the law, even in its present perilous state, takes the same view, lest all villains be left to roam the streets to carry out their misdeeds with impunity on the basis that “it’s not their fault, it’s just their upbringing”

Egnm, United Kingdom

The law is less flexible, justice more so.

And both are very intolerant of racism, including racist taunts.

I honestly think that you should learn more about being isolated as a victim, especially in childhood, whether as an individual or as a member of a minority group, before being too didactic about how individuals with such a background should be treated.

There are many people who, through no fault of their own, have never been introduced to the concepts of “common decency” or even “society”. Locking them all up together into prisons where such concepts are also absent, or even inverted, is scarcely a solution.

It is just too easy to view society from the viewpoint of privilege.

EGKB Biggin Hill

out of interest is calling someone a zionist considered a racist insult?

That does seem rather tolerated within the present opposition party at the moment.

All far to academic.

The person doing the insulting normally knows that he intends to do so, and the recipient of the insult knows that. And in the case “Zionist”, if insult is intended, a prefix like “filthy” typically removes all doubt.

What makes an insult “racist” is that the main word used is about somebody being a member of a particular group (not only “race” these days). What groups of people can be called changes over time, and can also depend on who uses the word.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 26 May 11:26
Biggin Hill

Zionist, in Labour Party use, means “Jewish” and is generally a term of disparagement, used to imply that Jewish people are in a conspiracy to undermine society. It is not a million miles from Nazi propaganda, and that is why people are so sensitive to and concerned about it.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Zionist, in Labour Party use, etc

Am fortunate in seeing Lord Dubs in a few days, and will ask him if he would agree with this statement – I trust Timothy will agree he is in a position to have an informed opinion on this sensitive subject.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Lord Dubs is a wonderful man. I met him a few months ago.

I have no idea what his views on anti-semitism in Labour are. It would have felt rude to have asked, given his history and allegiances. But I would value his insight.

EGKB Biggin Hill

flybymike wrote:

for those who do not comply with normal human standards of decency.

Not trying to be provocative but what does that mean? One man’s freedom fighter is another man’s terrorist. Take Mandela, take Saddam Hussein, take Idi Amin we could be here all day. What is it or defines normal human standards of decency? Who determines what it is? One man’s normality can easily be another’s insanity, just look at vast sectors of the UK landscape today.

Take a look into UK poverty. The view is very different from Mr 1 %, standards of decency vary considerably dependent where you sit on the bell curve of life.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

BeechBaby wrote:

What is it or defines normal human standards of decency?

I’d say society standards of those around you or those in power. Obviously varies by group, authority, location and time period.

Whilst I do think it’s good to disagree with what some people say, censoring is a pretty dangerous road. The whole compelled speech on gender vs scientific fact is a bit of dodgy one too

Off_Field wrote:

I’d say society standards of those around you or those in power.

That brings us into dangerous territory within those in power in the UK at the moment. Standards of decency?? Pretty debatable I would say and I am not going to say the word……..

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow
Sign in to add your message