Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

Peter wrote:

You do, and same with ATC is many places, but they need Level 4 only. Many would not qualify for Level 4, too, not by a long way.

I thought the point was that they know (for the most part) how to say and recognise the sounds that are part of RT standard phraseology, but their grasp of what the words really mean is poor and they have next-to-no English outside the standard phraseology?

EGLM & EGTN

I think Level 4 means a conversational understanding of the language, but not idiomatic stuff.

A large % of ATC in parts of Europe is not Level 4. I don’t know how this was arranged. Probably the same way as pilots

Curiously we don’t appear to have a general ELP thread… there is a number of specific ones which then drifted off in different directions. One day I might merge them

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

alioth wrote:

Less than 1% between them based on the actual votes counted in the election, but the first won with a massive landslide,

Is a bit of this not down to the boundaries which give a significant advantage to labour?

Discussing this election while not mentioning Brexit is going to be a bit like walking round a house not thinking of a tiger (or is it an elephant inside the house?)

EGKB Biggin Hill

Off_Field wrote:

Is a bit of this not down to the boundaries which give a significant advantage to labour?

That’s exactly the point about first past the post: it’s almost more important how the votes are distributed, than the number of votes. With exactly the same polling numbers, the Tories could win a landslide if distributed one way, but exactly the same number of votes distributed differently could have Labour winning an absolute majority. FPTP simply doesn’t respect the popular vote.

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

FPTP simply doesn’t respect the popular vote.

We had a referendum on the subject in 2011. The result of that popular vote was respected.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I think you have confused AV and PR, if the point is the debate was settled and should still be respected.

alioth wrote:

That’s exactly the point about first past the post: it’s almost more important how the votes are distributed, than the number of votes. With exactly the same polling numbers, the Tories could win a landslide if distributed one way, but exactly the same number of votes distributed differently could have Labour winning an absolute majority. FPTP simply doesn’t respect the popular vote.

I sometimes think that a failure to properly understand how FPTP works is the reason Labour tends to do poorly.

Where the Tories target the middle ground and focus on winning marginal seats, Labour spend their time preaching to the choir – celebrating ‘redder than red’ credentials and getting excited about increasing a majority from 20,000 to 25,000 in some safe seat.

EGLM & EGTN

Things were much easier when the Old Sarum (EGLS) parliamentary constituency) returned 2 members from 7 electors

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Or Dunny-on-the-Wold (more animals than voters).

EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message